Restoring Case

varney

I'm planning to restore a nice old leather-covered Wheatstone case. The original lock is missing its latch and I would have liked to try and replace it only the pin mechanism that should protrude from the 'keyhole' has snapped off inside and is inaccessible.

It may be repairable in some way, and I'd be pleased to hear of any successful attempt at fixing one of these. It still seems an odd and slightly awkward mechanism so I'll probably wind up fitting something else that will work better but still suit the lovely vintage look of the box.

There are the remainders of a strap fitted to each side. They appear original to the case so I'd like to try and restore this. Problem is I don't know how long the strap was on the original. Was it a shortish one that came over the top but with clearance for the lid to lift, or was it shoulder length?

Id love to get ideas from seeing pictures other members may have of old original cases like this with straps or handles.

post-8118-0-89617000-1479904029_thumb.jpg

post-8118-0-06001900-1479904058_thumb.jpg

post-8118-0-50439700-1479904131_thumb.jpg

Do you have the original hollow key that fits over the pin in the keyhole? It looks like there would have been a bit of hardware on the end of the missing leather flap that would been received by the slot- do you still have that? If you carefully peel back the lining behind the lock can you file off the rivets? Lee Valley Tools here in Canada has lots of similar "vintage look" box locks on its website.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Bill..Ive seen these locks before and there isn't actually a key. The little pin in the 'keyhole' protrudes and there"s usually a slider attached which releases the metal insert which would be on the little strap end.

I don't have the metal insert that would have fitted into the slot. Even if I did I still wouldn't be able to use it as the slider is gone and the pin snapped off inside.

Thanks for the tip.. I'll have a look at Lee Valley Tools...

Theo- thanks for the pic. It seems strange how the strap is fitted but does seem original. I get the sense it might not be a comfortable way to carry it but maybe I'm wrong.

Geoff - I certainly can take the lock out but what to replace it with..and how...is the challenge!

...take the lock out but what to replace it with..and how...is the challenge!

I have five hexagonal 'tina boxes (one can be seen in the picture at the LHS of this post).

I think they are lovely things - very much part of the whole concertina 'ensemble'.

All but one of them need some TLC - new lock or catch, new carrying strap, etc...

Any advice on getting behind the lining and subsequently replacing it without damaging

it, (particularly that on the inside of the lid, for strap replacement)? Any general advice on

refurbishment of these cases besides what has already been posted?

Any suggestions for brass hardware suppliers in the U.K.(locks, catches, etc.)? I've looked

in a couple of D.I.Y. places without seeing anything particularly inspiring (and I recently saw

some expensive brass catches on a boat which simply gave up the ghost after a few months,

so I'm a little wary of what is available).

Thank you.

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

You might try horological supplies (hardware for clock repairs)

About three years ago I found two different key blanks that I had ground to fit the locks on two different wooden hex cases for Lachenal instruments at:

Restoration Materials, 194 Wellington Road, Bury, Lancashire BL9 9AH

www.restoration-materials.co.uk

They had some locks and clock cabinet hardware that might well be suitable for a concertina case.

It looks like there are a number of other such places around, I just happened to work in Bury at the time, so it was convenient for me.

...take the lock out but what to replace it with..and how...is the challenge!

Any advice on getting behind the lining and subsequently replacing it without damaging

it, (particularly that on the inside of the lid, for strap replacement)? Any general advice on

refurbishment of these cases besides what has already been posted?

Any suggestions for brass hardware suppliers in the U.K.(locks, catches, etc.)? I've looked

in a couple of D.I.Y. places without seeing anything particularly inspiring (and I recently saw

some expensive brass catches on a boat which simply gave up the ghost after a few months,

so I'm a little wary of what is available).

Thank you.

Roger

Roger, I don't think you'll get the lining off without damaging it, but you can reline it with new velvet once the strap is repaired. I'd suggest hot hide glue to fix the new velvet - it's easy to apply, you can reposition easily and you won't pass out from the fumes...

I've made several new cases over the last few years and have made my own locks for them. There are a few photos of a lock in preparation here if you are interested - it's not very difficult if you are handy with light metalwork tools, or you might find a jeweller to make one up for you.

Adrian

Edited by aybee