Concertina Keys

A D/A that sounded a seventh lower than a C/G would, I expect, be referred to as a "D/A baritone" -- a D/A would normally be a tone higher than a C/G. G/D is a fifth lower than C/G.

I had a steel-reeded 20-key D/A Lachenal, which was marvellously shouty. Keith Kendrick has a D/A 38-ish key Dipper which is a thing of absolute wonder.

One ancient survey on this topic. Two revisions I should make are a couple of E/B concertinas of German origin and piccolo concertinas in a number of combinations. It seems virtually every possible key has been made at least once at some point.

Ken

This survey says concerning Ab/Eb that it is "less common" which of course may be correct generally speaking but among Salvation Army anglos particularly 30(32) key ones I believe Ab/Eb (in high pitch a=452,5) rather might be the "most common"

Is a AD two tones lower than CG or 6 tones higher than CG? Is seems like were saying the DG is one tone higher than CG. Do I have it right? Thanks Ron

I think your confusion is coming from the way you are referring to the keys of the box. Convention is to describe an anglo by the lowest key first -- so D/A rather than A/D. The second row of the two is a fifth higher. Therefore a D/A anglo is a tone higher than a C/G.

One ancient survey on this topic....

That survey, (which I used when trying to find out a little bit more about my 26-Button Jones A♭/E♭ Salvation Army

instrument) also mentions an article by Wes Williams - http://www.concertina.net/ww_pitch.html- which produces

the message The requested URL /ww_pitch.html was not found on this server. when I try to access it. Does this

article still exist - I'd love to read it...

Thank you.

Roger

Is a AD two tones lower than CG or 6 tones higher than CG? Is seems like were saying the DG is one tone higher than CG. Do I have it right? Thanks Ron

I think your confusion is coming from the way you are referring to the keys of the box. Convention is to describe an anglo by the lowest key first -- so D/A rather than A/D. The second row of the two is a fifth higher. Therefore a D/A anglo is a tone higher than a C/G.

The person selling it in the music store says its A D. Does this mean the A is the lowest D is higher? D is a fifth higher. Could this be correct? If so would A be lower than the CG? Thanks Ron

D would be only a fourth higher than A, while E would the fifth.

Most likely the person in the store is more used to the convention with 2-row Melodeons/Accordions, which are made so that the higher row is only a fourth above, rather than a fifth higher like on the Anglo Concertina For the Melodeon A/D would be normal.

So the concertina in question is probably actually D/A and would be one full tone higher than a C/G. If it was a seventh lower, you could expect it would be sold as a Baritone D/A and it would be more rare, and expensive.

One ancient survey on this topic. Two revisions I should make are a couple of E/B concertinas of German origin and piccolo concertinas in a number of combinations. It seems virtually every possible key has been made at least once at some point.

Ken

This survey says concerning Ab/Eb that it is "less common" which of course may be correct generally speaking but among Salvation Army anglos particularly 30(32) key ones I believe Ab/Eb (in high pitch a=452,5) rather might be the "most common"

Believe me, I'm aware of many shortcomings and revisions necessary to my old article. I guess this is one reason Paul shut down most of the old site - we weren't keeping up with maintenance. I was attempting to survey all the anglos out there, so that wouldn't of course correspond to the Salvation Army alone. Of course I am now also aware that G/D was quite rare in the old days but is easily number two among new instruments, I'd guess.

One ancient survey on this topic....

That survey, (which I used when trying to find out a little bit more about my 26-Button Jones A♭/E♭ Salvation Army

instrument) also mentions an article by Wes Williams - http://www.concertina.net/ww_pitch.html- which produces

the message The requested URL /ww_pitch.html was not found on this server. when I try to access it. Does this

article still exist - I'd love to read it...

Thank you.

Roger

I expect it's still there, under a different archived name. I'd have to log into the server to find out what that is and I can't do that where I am right now. A long-standing ambition is to port a bunch of the old static articles (and not just my own) to here and resume posting the summer school list. I have Paul's permission, save for the old Buyer's Guide, which he said generated many email complaints to him because it was outdated. A waybackmachine.org search for circa 2009 may find you a copy in the meantime.

Anyway, back to keys. Besides C/G I have an A/E and a C/G baritone. The former is lovely and my wife's favorite (a Lachenal), she plays it daily. The latter (a modern hybrid) really demands its own style of play, playing it like a regular C/G doesn't strike me as the way to go. What do others think?

Ken

D would be only a fourth higher than A, while E would the fifth.

Most likely the person in the store is more used to the convention with 2-row Melodeons/Accordions, which are made so that the higher row is only a fourth above, rather than a fifth higher like on the Anglo Concertina For the Melodeon A/D would be normal.

So the concertina in question is probably actually D/A and would be one full tone higher than a C/G. If it was a seventh lower, you could expect it would be sold as a Baritone D/A and it would be more rare, and expensive.

So if they are saying its a AD it wouldn't play the same as a CG if I played it the same. As you say it must be AE or it wouldn't play correct when played like a CG. Is this right? Ron

So if they are saying its a AD it wouldn't play the same as a CG if I played it the same. As you say it must be AE or it wouldn't play correct when played like a CG. Is this right?

No.

What people are trying to explain, Ron, is that only button accordions / melodeons are in A/D (which is low A and high D), with the two rows a fourth apart. Concertinas have the two rows a fifth apart, and in D/A (low D and high A), which is two semitones higher than "regular" C/G tuning.

In other words, the keys are the other way around on a concertina compared with a button accordion / melodeon.

The store is WRONG in describing a concertina as A/D.

So if they are saying its a AD it wouldn't play the same as a CG if I played it the same. As you say it must be AE or it wouldn't play correct when played like a CG. Is this right?

No.

What people are trying to explain, Ron, is that only button accordions / melodeons are in A/D (which is low A and high D), with the two rows a fourth apart. Concertinas have the two rows a fifth apart, and in D/A (low D and high A), which is two semitones higher than "regular" C/G tuning.

In other words, the keys are the other way around on a concertina compared with a button accordion / melodeon.

The store is WRONG in describing a concertina as A/D.

Thanks I'll get back with them. If it was as you say AE would the A be higher than a CG concertina or lower? Thanks for your help Ron

Ron

You could take a C/G concertina with you to the store and use it to compare with the one the store is selling. If it is a music store, rather than a used goods store, then they should be quite used to folks coming in and playing their instruments.

Don.