Lachenal 26-Key C/g Anglo, Steel Reeds, Tuned & Serviced

Stephen Chambers

26-key Anglo concertina made by Lachenal & Co., London, around 1900. (#153226, before you ask Randy ;).)

In concert pitch (C/G) tuning, with solid mahogany ends, leather bellows and steel concertina reeds. It has been restored to good playing condition, and sounds like a proper concertina should. Guaranteed by myself (a repairer/tuner with 45 years of concertina experience.)

063.jpg

065.jpg

061.jpg

More photos here: https://www.donedeal.ie/keyboards-for-sale/lachenal-c-g-anglo-concertina-steel-reeds-tuned/13844680

With its original hexagonal wooden box.

The duplicate draw D on the bottom of the G row has been converted to low A, which is considered a much more useful fingering, and it has all the notes on it that most players will ever use.

This concertina has now been sold, and a donation made to C.net.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

• 2 weeks later...

what is the length from square side to square? and it plays in tune? also if your a repairer, whats a ball park general figure to get one similar to yours fixed up? it would need a complete overhaul. bellows.... maybe patched... maybe ok... may need new one, I cant tell. This concertina has a single reed plate.

what is the length from square side to square?

"Across the flats" it's standard Lachenal & Wheatstone size, which is 6 1/4"

... and it plays in tune?

I'm a tuner, I tuned it, so yes...

... if your a repairer, whats a ball park general figure to get one similar to yours fixed up? it would need a complete overhaul. bellows.... maybe patched... maybe ok... may need new one, I cant tell. This concertina has a single reed plate.

There's not really any such thing as "a ball park general figure" and it can vary hugely depending on the exact condition of the instrument and what you want doing to it, but (if it helps) a major refurbishment can cost €500.

However, if it "has a single reed plate" it's likely to be a cheap German product that was of "disposable" quality when it was new, and not intended to be repairable. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Is this one still available? also is there any chance you can tune it back to normal tuning? I have a few concertinas and im too old to learn different tunings :)

Sorry but no, I'm afraid this one is no longer available.

The low A on the draw could indeed have been changed back to a D, but low A is actually a normal and very common tuning that many Wheatstones had when they left the factory, whilst German concertinas usually have a low G on the press on that button, instead of the low B that is to be found on English-made Anglo instruments - "standard" fingerings can vary at the lowest, and/or highest extremities of the G row...

• 2 weeks later...

do you have any more 20-30 button anglo?

Only the Frank Edgley C/G at the moment, but I have more old ones to fix...

that edgley looks quite nice. I wish you still had the 26 or 27 button. I do want to get a concertina from someone who knows what they are doing.

Because I don't. I just play them. how many more do you have planned on fixing up? I have a few concertinas that I never attempted to fix.