Concertina Biscuit Tin

Jack Campin

They are rare and collectible. Depending on the condition. They are often pretty well-worn, and rusty. But if they are good, they get sold. That picture doesn't open for me, but there's one on ebay ending today :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201663663152?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This particular one is very handsome. The wood graining effect would have likely been done on early tinware with asphaltum/varnish in two coats. On this tin it is executed very nicely, however I cannot tell from the pictures whether or not it is paint.

The description says "one reed broken but plays various notes", and there does appear to be 4 sets of reeds on the lid. How did these work?

My guess is that it worked by sounding one set of reeds when air was drawn through them during opening of the container and the other set when air was pushed through them during closing of the container. The sound of the chords could eventually act as an alarm to detect over-consumption of biscuits—a seemingly self-defeating marketing strategy for a biscuit maker. :lol:

Edited by Laitch

The description says "one reed broken but plays various notes", and there does appear to be 4 sets of reeds on the lid. How did these work?

A couple of the pictures show that there is an inner tin which slides in and out. This would move air through the reeds.

Steve