Jody's England Solo Tour - November 2016

I'm Thom from the Bradford sessions. But I'm not tall, and I don't play the fiddle or the bagpipes.

I think Dr Sleep is thinking of my friend Brian Tilley - he will certainly get those tunes started - if you let him!

Oh and thankfully, neither of us look like Steve Howe!

Must be. Perhaps there are two Steve Howes. The one Brian looks like is in Massachusetts and works for the Country Dance and Song Society. At one time, both he and Jody were members of the Greenwich Morris Men in New York City. I can't find a picture of him on the web, but in looking, I found many pictures of the other (English) Steve Howe. Ugh! No wonder you said "thankfully." No, not that one.

Ah, but Brian will play them in a different key from everyone else ...

Ahh, yes... Bagpipes. He played it in D. I didn't learn it in G until I got home. But the tune only has a range of 6 notes, so it works in either key on most instruments. And the same goes for Canal, which has only 7 notes.

As for our USA Steve Howe, this year at the Pinewoods campers week skit night he was gleefully described in a conspiracy theory sketch as really being...

"three dozen chipmunks dressed up in a wizard suit" Also, there were accusations that the auction was rigged and more such silly stuff.

As for my tour, I mistakenly used the wrong website link for the Pete and Sue Coe House concert on November 7th. I've edited the top of this post to link to the correct page which is http://www.ryburn3step.org.uk/cms/?tribe_events=jody-kruskal-house-concert

If you want to go, better act fast. Seating is limited and there are only three left!

Alex - Thanks for pointing my mistake out to me. I've asked them to hold you a place for a few days so you are in, but please confirm with Pete and Sue at your earliest convenience.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

• 4 weeks later...

I've just returned home to Brooklyn from my 2016 England tour. What a grand time I had!

22 days of gigs, floor spots, sessions, singing and tunes, amazing and generous hospitality from my hosts and 2600 miles of driving all over the place. So many sheep, so little time. My little Fiat 500c was returned to the rental company without a scratch and now I only have to recover with a long nap in my own bed from the pleasant ordeal.

2017 will find me returning to England next November with 11 guest invitations in hand... perhaps a few more in the works if I'm lucky. I'll be in Lewes for workshops and a concert with additional folk clubs including: Baldock & Letchworth, The Fo'c'sle in Southampton, Wychwood, Walthamstow, Devizes, The Anchor in Surrey, Deal, Cross Keys in Saddleworth, Lymm, and the Ryepiece house concert series in Ettington.

Thank you, UK... for another great folk club tour, see you next year!

Edited by Jody Kruskal

Martin, I would like nothing better. Such fun. Chris T. put mp3 recordings of the Sheffield carols on my memory stick and I listened and learned them as I drove about, at least enough to join in. Sue Coe printed out the words for me and that helped. Here they are if anyone wants them. www.handsworthsworddancers.org.uk/HTSD%20Carols%20Pages.pdf

Hi Sleep,

Yes, Bradford was very fun. Yes, Brian is tall and thin. Whether he looks like Steve Howe is still up for debate as Steve is so shaggy it's hard to see his features, yet I know what you mean. No, I didn't play Gainivelle but perhaps I missed it as I spent some time talking with Colin Dipper who was there farting along melodiously with his serpent.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

• 4 years later...