A Gentle Enquiry...

Will Moore

If you think you have a problem then can you imagine what a Highland piper goes through to find somewhere to practice. I have seen a fellow deep in the bush with his pipes, and another in the middle of an empty parking lot.

Of course, they can use their practice chanter at home. Maybe we need a practice chanter concertina.

On every road out of Edinbugh one can see cars pulled over on the verge and pipers walking up and down at the weekends, if the weather is at all clement.... apparently.

I suggest a Chamois leather cover for the fretwork, cut out the area for the keys and stick it temporarily to the ends using Blu Tac or similar. Chamois is available as a washing cloth for windows and cars. Cheap and worth a try!

Edited by Geoff Wooff

I'm currently looking into upgrading the baffles as I think it will really help :) Thanks so much for the advice - I'm glad I don't need to sell my Edgley! I really do love it :)

I have thoroughly read Robert Gaskins article, which was super helpful (Thanks Don) and have got the adhesive foam tape recommended. I'm currently trying to track down some reasonably priced goatskin leather :)

I do think I will buy a 'night time' instrument in the future though!

Interestingly, I went to a picnic in the woods with a load of friends today and played my concertina with lots of kids running around and people talking. The Edgley sounded perfect and not too loud at all - so I think my small room at home is to blame :)

So - to update - I tracked down some goat skin leather, about 1mm thickness, cut it to size and spent the evening cutting and applying to my concertina - it looked lovely, however it made the Edgley sound like it was being played under water! I guess there is a reason Frank uses the leather baffles that he does. 400+ concertinas have obviously taught him what is best! I reverted to the original in the end!

I documented some of it on Instagram if you are keen - only. Couple of pics mind https://www.instagram.com/p/BJs6ifHBrcQ/?taken-by=clevercode

I think I need to mould my world around my concertina, rather than mould my concertina to fit it ;) The kids will get used to it, the wife loves me anyway and the neighbours will be bribed with decent gin so I think that is my solution!

I'm on the lookout for a reasonably priced wooden ended instrument for evening practice, though I think I'll have to wait a while financially!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Will

I have just got hold of a G/D 32 button lachenal that should play a bit quieter at home :) I hope to keep the Edgley too - just depends on how kind the next few months are to me financially ;)

Oh dear... It would seem CAS (concertina acquisition syndrome) has got me already...

Will, I guess that was the one I was watching on eBay and which promptly disappeared. I will (sorry !) be interested to know how you get on with it, and hope it is a great success for you (and the children).

Meanwhile should you eventually think of actually selling the Edgley please do let me know.

All best

Rob

Rob - indeed you are correct :) I got a good deal. The Lachenal seems in good shape on the whole - needs new valves which shouldn't be an issue - the outside is in dire need of a gentle scrub with some fine wire wool and a few coats of stain and danish oil - then will be good as new, well ish...

A few pics below

I've got a couple of questions for those in the know -

Can I cut down accordion valves to use as I have lots of them from replacing a couple on the Edgley?

Any way to date this? I can find no serial number anywhere!

Thanks

IMG_3002.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

Will, thats the Wheatstone ledger. I believe lachenals are a bit trickier to accurately date, however some members here have devised equations to do so. The fret-work may give you some details, as it (i believe) is unique to 32 button anglo's. Perhaps a good place to start for dating it would be to find out when:

1. lachenal started making the 32 buttons, which I believe originally had novelty sounds for the extra buttons

2. lachenal started making D/G's

3. looking at the note stampings on the reeds to see if the instrument was always a D/G or re-tuned to D/G. Best of luck

Edited by nicx66

From your pictures Will, it looks as if the valves have been replaced during a fairly recent refurbishment, however, the state of some of the reeds is pretty dire which suggests it has either been kept in a less than ideal environment or the 'quick refurb' was very poorly done.

Flithy reeds, not fitting properly in their slots and missing valves, old glue having not been cleaned off before new valves have been glued on.

The number looks more like 60481 to me.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Thanks Geoff - I plan on restoring the wood myself (something I can do within my comfort zone) and then sending it to Nigel Sture (http://www.concertinas-uk.co.uk/) for a full restoration, as it is beyond my abilities.

I think the reeds can be salvaged. They all sound (nicely) bar a few flappy valves slowing things down. some of the reed shoes are corroded, which is a worry, but I think salvageable!

I need to make sure it's worth my while getting it professionally restored however, rather than doing it myself. What would you asy a fully restored G/D Lachenal of this age is worth?

Thanks!

I'd agree with Nigel, a bit of TLC will probably be sufficient. Almost every secondhand concertina I ever bought needed a degree of 'finishing' to the works to obtain the best sounds and tunings... except the restored Wheatstone I bought from Harry Crabb in the early 70's... it never missed a beat.

Good luck with your new squeeze.

Geoff.