Concertinas In Heat

I have an Edgley G/D that I am still getting used to. It's Summer in the UK and we have had some very warm weather this week (35 degrees C, 95 F).

I've noticed some odd behaviour when it is very warm, some of the reeds on the concertina get stiff and buzzy and are harder to play. Then it cools down (but is still warm) and they are fine. I am always careful never to put the concertina in the sunshine always in shade.

I have read other threads on humidity, particularly this one http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=17159&hl=%2Breeds+%2Bin+%2Bhot+%2Bweather&do=findComment&comment=163375but the humidity here is steady between 30-40% whatever time of day.

I wondered if anyone had any clever explanations for this, or for any ways to combat it!

Thanks!

Edited by Will Moore

Sorry, peurile mind that I have, I'm far more interested in knowing how you can tell if your concertina is in heat, do you get all the local stray street concertinas hanging around outside howling?

She sits at the window howling a low G every evening until a Morris group turns up ;)

Nothing useful to contribute, but Dan Worrall's "The Anglo-German Concertina: A Social History" relates a story about an Australian bush musician who would tie his concertina to a rope and lower it down the well to keep it cool in the summer... :)

Reed pinching usually comes from expansion from humidity. Unless the heat is accompanied by an increase in humidity, heat is more drying. Short duration changes in temperature are not likely to cause much change from moisture uptake in wood, which is relatively slow compared to the speed of drying. Edgely also makes two types of concertinas, one hybrid, the other with single reed shoes. The former will not suffer from reed pinch. The cause can be different for each type. Valves can react much more quickly than wood, and can cause buzzing ( if they touch at the tip before the center and bobble up and down instead of staying closed ( think kazoo ). If they curl upward, they let air bypass, and the reed being played is deprived of full pressure. Other things like warping can cause poor reed response, but I'd be surprised if the kind of temperature change you are talking about would cause any since expansion due to temperature change is only significant when the temperature change is very high, or the size of the object is very large. Expansion factors are typically in the ballpark if 10 to the minus 6th power per degree Celsius. ( millionths of an inch per inch per degree change. ). You see buckling of roads ( or cracking in winter ) because the temperature change can be a hundred degrees and the road is miles long. Train rails avoid long straight runs in places where it changes temperature a lot, or you get derailments from bowing of the rails. Curves in the track allow the expansion to be accommodated. Dimension changes in wood from moisture level change is actually quite large in comparison.

Dana

Edited by Dana Johnson