Portsmouth Nh Festival

Ken_Coles

I am still in Mass., so it seems I ought to go up to New Hampshire this weekend. Any advice for us, Tom Hall, or anyone else? I may be sans my anglo (in repair shop :( ), so it could be a real challenge. But always worth listening also. Will there be any musical events Friday?

Thanks,

Ken

Hi Ken, et al.,

The Maritime Festival starts on Saturday at the Press Room, 77 Daniel Street, at 3:30 (see this thread :  Concertina Convergence In New Hampshire )

But there wil be a trad music session at the Press Room on Friday from about 4:30 to nearly 9:00. These sessions have been going for twenty years now and are frequently very full, and due to the Maritime fest, this one may be fuller than usual. This is not meant to be discouraging, but rather an appraisal of what things may be like. In addition to the regulars, we will be joined by Ken Sweeny and possibly Mainbrace. A bunch of the regulars who make up The Angel Band are off to Ireland on Sunday and may well be there en masse. But there may be a spare Anglo for you to play. Best advice -- get there around 4:00 and I can probably secure a seat for you.

Hope to see you at any or all of the goings on -- Tom

Edited by Tom Hall

I'm really looking forward to meeting you Ken, and any other brave souls who might venture forth to the festival. For some more details and other views on the festival here's a local newpaper feature; http://www4.fosters.com/News2003/September...cov_0925_03.asp

See you this weekend -- Tom

Edited by Tom Hall

:( I am REALLY sad that I can't go. In fact, I'm still arguing with myself about it.

My daughter will be home from college, but for a good chunk of that time, I probably won't be seeing much of here anyway...so, if I could somehow 'jet' up to Portsmouth during that time....hmmm...

and then, it may be the same in years to come...

I may have to see about the Salem Maritime Festival...I did see at least one concertina player when there was a television coverage of it. That's earlier in the summer. I've never been to it.

(Sigh...)

C'mon Wendy, try to make it up for Sunday at least. I know there's no concertina workshop, but there will be lots of players  --  Tom

It's still 'ify' and I won't know til Sunday morning what I'm doing. Believe me, unless in good conscience I can't be there, I'll be there.

Then, gotta drive the girl back to school in the pm. (that'll be our time together). She's 'sick' now, too, so...that's another thing. Yet she still must perform tomorrow, in the marching band.

I imagine that, come Sunday, we'll all be ready to bite each others' heads off and it may be a geat idea for me to head north for Portsmouth!

And no one here will miss me but my good ol' dog.

Right now, I don't even think the dog would miss me.

Edited by bellowbelle

The unofficial festival start at the Press Room was a most auspicious beginning, a great blend of tthe regulars plus festival performers and attendees. At one point there were eight English concertinas in the house. Of course, that was no help to Ken Coles, whose Anglo is in the shop. I've put out a call for someone to bring one along today to help relieve what must be a most frustrating situation; music, music everywhere and not a box to play!

Hope some more of you can make it this weekend so that Ken, Chris Stevens and I won't be the only C-netters there -- Tom

As I suspected, the Festival turned out to be a great musical success; lots of powerful songs and some fine concertina work.

I didn't have a chance to hear Chris Stevens as I was tied up hosting another part of the fest, but I have been fortunate enough to have witnessed Chris' musical growth and development on a near weekly basis for the past five or so years.

Concertina highlights for me were Bob Webb's rich MacCann stylings and Jerry Epstein's exquisite song accompaniments for himself and others.

Special thanks to Ken Coles for his support and for his songs at the Saturday sing-around. Maybe he'll post some of the pictures he took (hint, hint.)

And on a different note, thanks, Helen -- Tom

I finally have a chance to check in here and say, "Thanks to Tom and everyone else at the festival." I told Jeff Warner (a decent EC player himself) they did a good job on what must be a very big organizational effort. Chris S. is indeed a great AC player. And Ken S. as always does amaze me. You can play any style convincingly on any system if you work at it like he has. Thanks also to Tom and Charlie for producing an Anglo Saturday for me to noodle on (a Stagi F/C -- never seen another one).

Tom Hall noted:

Special thanks to Ken Coles for his support and for his songs at the Saturday sing-around. Maybe he'll post some of the pictures he took (hint, hint.)

I'm not exactly a singer. I've just started, while I'd love to listen to more from any of the accomplished singers I heard there. As for the pictures, I need to finish the roll (conventional film) before scanning it in. I guess I need to find something else to take pictures of around here. That was easier when I had a job and a class full of kids to take pictures of.

As always, nice to put faces and personalities to some Web persons, and to meet Bob Frost from the Angel Band -- hope their trip to Ireland was good!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Glad you had a good time. We're in the same boat as to photos; can't afford a digital camera, yet. You can send me jpegs via my email address on my personal page. I want to send an assortment of pics to Mudcat, and the concertina pics to this site. Where on this site do we send them?

Be well -- Tom