Synthetic Concertina...

I fancy learning to play a concertina, but because I'm a vegan I don't really want one with animal-derived materials, etc. I realise this may cause disapproval from some corners, but does anyone know anything about concertinas that use other materials for valve pads, bellows, etc? Has anyone tried other materials themselves?

Any information received at this stage would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Robin Cox B)

That used to be true, but they've gone back to using leather, because unfortunately leather still has better reliability, flexibility and a number of other properties as compared qwith the artificial bookbinding material they started with.

Harold Herrington's square concertinas (of which I have a fine example) use a type of accordion bellows with a much smaller amount of leather in than is usual. He has stopped making them now, but if you approach him and explain the problem he may be willing to make you a one-off. Harold is a charming gentleman and I am certain will give a sympathetic ear to your problem.

Chris

Be sure not to play around cats as well. I did at my sister-in-law's house and scared the hell out of her Siamese. It first gave me a strange look as if I must have been mad and then sprinted out of the room and hid under the bed for the next 12 hours. I know my playing isn't that great, but... :)

Be sure not to play around cats as well.  I did at my sister-in-law's house and scared the hell out of her Siamese.

...though I like cats, they can be quite fussy about certain instruments. One friend had to quit the Psaltry because one of her cats would actually jump up onto her lap and get between the bow and the strings to prevent her from playing. On a bagpipe newsgroup, a piper told of her cat heading for the door when she grabs a particular set of pipes.

Other animals like concertinas. My mom's collie-shep will lie down at my feet when I play, and make the same noises as when she gets a new toy. One time while practicing in a nature preserve, I doe stepped out of hiding and just stood 10 feet from me staring right at me as I played.

- Alex Jones, Oak Park, Illinois, USA

Be sure not to play around cats as well.  I did at my sister-in-law's house and scared the hell out of her Siamese.

...though I like cats, they can be quite fussy about certain instruments. One friend had to quit the Psaltry because one of her cats would actually jump up onto her lap and get between the bow and the strings to prevent her from playing. On a bagpipe newsgroup, a piper told of her cat heading for the door when she grabs a particular set of pipes.

Other animals like concertinas. My mom's collie-shep will lie down at my feet when I play, and make the same noises as when she gets a new toy. One time while practicing in a nature preserve, I doe stepped out of hiding and just stood 10 feet from me staring right at me as I played.

- Alex Jones, Oak Park, Illinois, USA

Oh good. My dog has been howling when I play the concertina. I thought it was because I am a beginner. (Well, actually I thought it was because he thought I was awful.) Maybe he's just singing along.

Helen sometimesplayswellwithothers Cusick Cleveland wehavelightsagain Ohio USA