Why Mainly An Anglo In C/g, Not G/d ?

Why, why? My take on it is that it is a matter of historical accident/happenstance.

That'd have a lot to do with it Ken and, when it comes to English music, melodeons in D/G only started to become commercially available in 1955 and only slowly took over from (mainly) C/C# and B/C ones (played in C) over the course of the next 20 years. And it was only then that there started to be a demand for G/D Anglos.

We've had a few previous discussions of this, like:

G/D Anglos

Morris Music On A C/G Anglo

Piano Accordions

C/G v G/D Anlgo

Thank you Stephen.

I should have realised of course that this discussion would have been around before and should first have made a decent search. Thanks too for the interesting links.

Only the other day I came across a thread along similar lines as well on 'The Session' website though it contains little more than we have seen already.

I had stewed a little that I had mistakenly chosen a C/G (and encouraged my wife and a friend of hers to do the same !!!) and fidgeted then about getting a D/G. However having read all the comments I can understand much better now the pro's and con's of each tuning, and I do feel much happier about my original choice.

Some debates will always be with us I guess: earists versus dottists, accordion style reeds versus concertina style reeds, 'Anglo versus English', Hayden versus McCann, etc etc

Hmm

I originally purchased a c/g anglo to play all sorts of music on. English trad, Breton music, Irish trad, heavy metal covers ect. After a while I just got annoyed with it as mostly I wanted to play in G, D and A. When playing In D and A I found the non linear lay out of the scales quite non-intuitive so I got a G/D. I found G/D just simpler to play in these keys which for me made it a lot more fun

• 1 month later...

I have been learning the Anglo concertina c/g for about a year now. I get some help from an accordion player.

Soon I would like to upgrade to a forty button Anglo and am interested in playing Argentine tango's and Italian waltzes.

Which key should the concertina be turned in (cg, dg or ad) and why?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Soon I would like to upgrade to a forty button Anglo and am interested in playing Argentine tango's and Italian waltzes.

Which key should the concertina be turned in (cg, dg or ad) and why?

I don't know the answer to your question offhand Ivanhoe, which could depend very much on the keys the tunes you want to play are normally in, and whether you want to play along the rows, or across them. (Tango music is largely played "on the draw" on Bandoneon.)

But after reading your post, I checked my eBay notifications to find that (coincidentally) a friend in Calfornia had posted a combination of the two - a rather fine Italian tango from 1936 - which I thought I'd share: Daniele Serra - Scrivimi