Missing E Sharp On My Elise

So I have had my Elise for a couple weeks now, and am really enjoying it! One giant problem I have come across is there is tons of music that has e# in it, and I have no e#. Should I simply play an E? Is there a different note I should substitute?

For most purposes there is no such note as E#. E to F is a semitone so I think that, technically at least, E# is F.

Where are you seeing sheet music with E#'s?

Maybe you have a key signature that includes an F# and the author is using E# instead of notating an F natural - which would be unusual.

I don't mean to sound insulting, but are you sure that you are not mistaking F# for E# in the key signature?

Edited by Don Taylor

Just to demonstrate the symmetry within the Hayden layout.

To go up by a semitone (a minor second) you move up one row and left three buttons. If you start on E and do that then you get to F!

If you start on A then you get to Bb.

This even works between the hands: start on D4 on the RHS, go up one row and left three buttons (two on the RHS and one on the LHS) and you get D4# on the LHS. Oops, this does not work on an Elise because it is missing the D4# on the LHS - but the principle still holds.

Edited by Don Taylor

Don, do you know of a resource that I can learn about the terms you are using? semitone, minor second? I have a basic understanding of music theory, but as I hang out on here, I see that I have a LOT to learn about musical theory, and even composition for that matter.

Seems like most of the concertina players I read about do a lot of "educated guessing" when it comes to transcribing music to suit their needs. Even as a beginner, I come across a tune I hear and I start trying to figure out how to make it work on my concertina. I would imagine a more solid base understanding of music would help a lot in this.

Thanks for the pointers, this sure is a fun undertaking!

oh, and by the way, I got to looking at the score of music I was trying to play, and there wasn't even an F# in the score! lol.

Kevin

I like MusicTheory.net

If you are a book kind of guy then the 'Everything Reading Music Book' by Marc Schonbrun is very approachable.

I really enjoyed the University of Edinburgh free online course on music theory that they run occasionally. Check with Coursera for when they next run it. Be warned, it is hard work.

Just checked and the next course starts August 22.

My problem is that my ear is very poor so I try to rely on music theory to make up for my shortfall. I envy folks who can just hear something and know how to play it.

Don.

Edited by Don Taylor

Kevin

I like MusicTheory.net

If you are a book kind of guy then the 'Everything Reading Music Book' by Marc Schonbrun is very approachable.

I really enjoyed the University of Edinburgh free online course on music theory that they run occasionally. Check with Coursera for when they next run it. Be warned, it is hard work.

Just checked and the next course starts August 22.

My problem is that my ear is very poor so I try to rely on music theory to make up for my shortfall. I envy folks who can just hear something and know how to play it.

Don.

signed up! thanks don