I type I get

c/C c/C

d/D C/c- note the case reversal

e/E nothing!

f/F F/f - note the case reversal

g/G g/G

a/A nothing!

b/B b/B

This is the first time I've actually tried to type a tune into EasyABC. Everything I've done

so far has involved cutting-and-pasting entire tunes, loading existing ABC files, editing

text annotations, editing header fields or transposing - all successfully, so I'm completely

baffled by this.

Am I (not) doing something blindingly obvious?

At first, I thought it might be my keyboard but it's fine with everything else. I can get around

the problem by cutting-and-pasting from a NotePad window into the EasyABC window but

surely there's a way within EasyABC?

I'm using EasyABC 1.3.7.1. I tried downloading 1.3.7.5 with the same result.

I can't find anything in the online documentation which deals with this....

Mystified. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

Roger

Could you share the solution here for the benefit of others?

I suspect I know what the issue was here, but it would make this thread more useful for future readers if you summarise the result; nothing worse than a Google search result that describes your exact problem, but the only solution you can find is 'ah, fixed it thanks' :)

I suspect I know what the issue was here,

Spelling checkers have been know to interfere with ABC input, especially case reversals.

But in other contexts they can also be a nuisance. For example to type Sliabh na mBan which is a perfectly legitimate but which will inevitably get changed in to Sliabh na Mban when you have an over-active spelling checker at work. Which can be infuriating when you are trying to type a list of (Irish) tune names.

Could you share the solution here for the benefit of others?

I suspect I know what the issue was here, but it would make this thread more useful for future readers if you summarise the result; nothing worse than a Google search result that describes your exact problem, but the only solution you can find is 'ah, fixed it thanks' :)

Heh, heh! Fair comment! Having received a solution from a non-c.net source, I just thought that that was it - done

and dusted. I thought that folks here probably wouldn't be interested...

So, here goes:

I had been experimenting with some of the ABC settings - in particular in the 'ABC typing assistance' sub-menu

of the 'Settings' menu. I had turned on the (experimental) 'do-re-mi' mode, but hadn't tried it out. Turning this off

again seems to make the problem go away, so I will make sure it's turned off for the future....

I simply didn't cotton to the fact that turning on 'do-re-mi' mode seems to turn off 'normal' mode (if I can call it that).

With 'do-re-mi' mode turned on, I now see that if I type "do re mi fa so la ti do" into the 'ABC score' window, I actually

see "a b c d e f g a", and the appropriate notes are displayed in the 'Musical score' window.

To me, this is a fairly subtle problem. I guess for others with more musical knowledge than me, it's a non-problem?

I just never thought of it, but my (non-c.net) pal just said "try checking all the settings".

Oh, aye, I think the case reversal was probably due to the 'Automatic upper/lower case' switch being on. Needless

to say, it's now off...

Ho hum, we live and learn.

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

• 2 weeks later...

The OP problem is having "Automatic upper and lower case" turned on. It works so that if you type c/C and the next note is d EasyABC will select upper or lower case by proximity to the previous note. So, you type a "d" and EasyABC puts "D" in. Then the shift key works to choose the note an octave from the chosen one, and since it put in "D" the shift key actually "unshifts" things and puts in "d". I'm not sure why the OP got nothing for some entries. It doesn't happen for me.

BTW I like the automated octave, but it takes getting used to.

Edited by cboody

...I'm not sure why the OP got nothing for some entries...

I got 'nothing' only when I typed "a" or "e".

I assume that this is because in 'do-re-mi' mode, none of the notes ("do re mi fa so la ti do") begins

with an "a" or "e", so EasyABC just gave up?

Or is that too simplistic?

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

The OP problem is having "Automatic upper and lower case" turned on. It works so that if you type c/C and the next note is d EasyABC will select upper or lower case by proximity to the previous note. So, you type a "d" and EasyABC puts "D" in. Then the shift key works to choose the note an octave from the chosen one, and since it put in "D" the shift key actually "unshifts" things and puts in "d". I'm not sure why the OP got nothing for some entries. It doesn't happen for me.

BTW I like the automated octave, but it takes getting used to.

I like it too; I just wish they'd expanded it to other octaves, so that when entering a melody in the bass clef, I wouldn't have to put all those commas in... With the other typing assistance features, I especially like the fact that ( ) and " " can be entered as a single stroke and the cursor placed in-between.

Adrian

Edited by aybee