Just Back From The Noel Hill Irish Concertina School....it Was Incredi

Hello Folks

I just finished another week (my 13th) attending one of Noel Hill's (North American) concertina workshops. I attend the west coast version near Portland, Oregon.

I just wanted to share what a remarkable experience it was and how invaluable it has been for me by enhancing my skill level, musicality, and taking me deeper into the heart of Irish music. Noel does not hold back sharing his technique and artistic wisdom towards helping his students/friends move forward in their individual journeys with the Anglo concertina. The atmosphere in Noel's workshops is one of generosity, patience, love for the music, and a lot of good humor and laughter.

The opportunity to hear Noel play both in classes and especially in a concert for his students is always a stunning experience that knocks me on the floor emotionally, and inspires me in my own musical journey. I have been attending Noel's workshops for many years because it is an opportunity, that as long as I am able, I must seize!

Obviously I am recommending studying with Noel for anyone who is passionate, interested,or just beginning to explore playing Irish music on the concertina. Studying with Noel as a real beginner is an especially wonderful and smart way to start off by benefiting from Noel's particular and long tested technical approach, no matter what direction each player may take later on in their music making.

Here is a link to his website with information about Noel and his workshops. It should soon have updated dates and locations for Noel's 2017 workshop schedules in the USA and in Ireland.

http://www.noelhill.com/

Richard

• Like 2

Richard,

I completely agree!

When I first took up concertina I should have gone to the workshop at the first chance, in 2013. It would have greatly boosted my start with the concertina!

Last February, I also attended Noel's workshop in Ireland. There was the same welcoming camaraderie and helpfulness. It certainly was the highlight of my 3 week visit there.

I too recommend Noel Hill Irish Concertina School, NHICS for Irish traditional music on the Anglo.

Rick

Edited by rickrussellpdx

• 1 year later...

I know this post is "old" but it's been really encouraging. I just bought my fist concertina, (R. Morse Céilí C/G Jeffries layout) and signed up for the Noel Hill workshop here in Oregon. I feel like I've just stepped into an amazing adventure...

• Like 1

Will attend my first Noel Hill class in Cincinnati in two weeks and am really looking forward to it. It's just been the Ceili, Mick Bramich's book, and me in the basement so far. Can't wait to get some real life Noel guidance into the box.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bogheathen said:

Will attend my first Noel Hill class in Cincinnati in two weeks and am really looking forward to it. It's just been the Ceili, Mick Bramich's book, and me in the basement so far. Can't wait to get some real life Noel guidance into the box.

Looking forward to attending NHICS again, this time in Cincinnati, after a 10 year hiatus.  See you there.

Edited by CaryK
  • Like 1

I'm in my 21st or 22nd year at NHICS - I'm getting too old to remember which - and the vast majority have been at the Midwest Class. So I will be looking forward to seeing both of you there starting on Sunday. We don't have the monster contingent that both the East Coast and the West Coast classes generate but that's much the better for us for one-on-one Class time with Noel. I always get my musical batteries recharged at NHICS. I'm just not looking forward to the drive. It is only about 7-1/2 hours but much of it is in a straight line up Interstate 75 to Cincinnati, and both RSI and arthritis tend to crop up when hanging on to the steering wheel for that long at my age. Nevertheless, there’s Tylenol to help me recover so by half 9 on Monday I'll be raring to go.

For any Anglo player who would like to learn as much as possible in just 5 days and have a great experience while doing it should consider attending one of the NHICS classes. The cost is exceptionally reasonable - especially when compared to some of the workshops offered in other disciplines. I've seen a significant number of weekend painting classes that cost more and give you so much less. To quote an old TV ad: “Try it, you’ll like it!”

Ross Schlabach

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RP3 said:

I'm in my 21st or 22nd year at NHICS - I'm getting too old to remember which

How many years? Well Ross, you and I rode up to NHICS in 1997 from Hartford CT to western MA with John K., and you both talked like old hands, so that was at least your second year (it was my first).

Ken

Oh yes, thanks for the memory. I now remember that you were able to give us a geology lesson along the way! That was my second class. Seems so long ago that it was another lifetime! Over the intervening years, I have missed two classes. But to me the total count is far less important than the fact that I haven't given up. Of course, now my class experience is more about renewing friendships and getting my musical batteries recharged than it is about trying to become the next concertina virtuoso. The added benefit is that each year I discover a new special tune or two which will become part of my repertoire.

Ross Schlabach