Hohner D40 And Other Concertinas That Suck

cryptastix

Sorry everyone, Im just fuming over a stupid hohner d40 that they charged a bunch and it was for lack of better words, a piece of sh*t.

I would never ever recommend a concertina like this to even someone i hate.... because i hate whoever crafted this crap even more.

If it had not been for the Hohner D40 I would not have started playing the concertina.I bought mine on E Bay for £100 secondhand .Now I play two very nice" Dippers" .I dont know what they are like new but remember concertinas compaired to say ,Guitar or even Melodeon are rather expensive , Certainly the one I had many years ago gave me a tast of concertina playing for a more reasonable outlay of funds. Bob

I would never ever recommend a concertina like this to even someone i hate.... because i hate whoever crafted this crap even more.

I've never owned nor even played a D40, but from various posts here I conclude that the quality can vary considerably. I believe some of our members have successfully returned for refund instruments that had obvious problems. Others have been happy with their instruments.

Since you're so thoroughly dissatisfied with the one you bought, I'm curious as to what particular things you find terribly "wrong". (I'm prepared for a long list.) Also curious as to what the "bunch" was that you paid. In a quick internet browse I find prices ranging from $250 to $325 for new D40s.

It's always best to try before you buy if you can. Failing that, the distance selling regulations allow you to return within 7 days if bought from a retailer. My first concertina was a Hohner, and whilst I only had it for a matter of weeks before upgrading, it at least allowed me to decide whether I wanted to invest in a vintage model.

It's always best to try before you buy if you can. Failing that, the distance selling regulations allow you to return within 7 days if bought from a retailer. My first concertina was a Hohner, and whilst I only had it for a matter of weeks before upgrading, it at least allowed me to decide whether I wanted to invest in a vintage model.

Likewise - The D40 gave me the bug, and whilst its limitations are boundless, it was worth the pain to then understand why a more expensive instrument is worth it!

I also started out on junk about 50 years ago-- it was a Bastari, as I recall-- same thing as the Hohner, or very close to it in quality.

About 40 years ago I switched to a much more expensive Anglo, with great delight and bemusement ever since.

I sold the Bastari on, and lost some money, but I remember it fondly, in perhaps the same way one remembers his first ratty old broken-down automobile.

Yeah yeah ok.

anyways things that were wrong with it are that the strap to hold your left hand, a screw fell off. also two buttons fell in and also the low note on the C note was no good. I read they cant handle the heat, and i live in florida. but common... brand new out of box with problems like this.

Amazon did do a refund and i was able to upgrade to a rochelle anglo (thank god).

The point being is I nearly quit before i even got started because the concertina was junk. I was just trying to help prospective players out.

Hohner used to make concertinas in Germany, then they moved all of their production to China, then they gave up all control and just bought boxes from Chinese manufacturers and rebadged them as Hohners. Stagi seems to be going down the same route.

I have not done it for a while but it is quite illuminating to search Allibaba.com for concertinas and accordions.

Edited by Don Taylor

Hohner used to make concertinas in Germany, then they moved all of their production to China, then they gave up all control and just bought boxes from Chinese manufacturers and rebadged them as Hohners. Stagi seems to be going down the same route.

I have not done it for a while but it is quite illuminating to search Allababa.com for concertinas and accordions.

fascinating, i love reading posts like yours that have knowledge

checked out your link don. that was really cool seeing them from china. I had no clue a 30 button could be as low as 60 dollars and change. (granted u gotta buy like 50 of em) so far i have your link

and ebay

this site

amazon

to find a genuine one that only another concertina player would apperciate

My first was a Scholer from the DDR - from memory £12 in about 1970.

I still remember the wheezy sound of the bellows. The brass reeds went out of tune in 3 months.

I see they are still around and described as "vintage" on ebayuk - still offered with the same tutor book.

This led to a Crabb Anglo model 7A (octagonal) a couple of years later.

At £109 pounds it was around a month's pay. Because of inflation and the oil crisis the price went up to £150 during the build but I still bought it.

All you can ask from a very cheap instrument is that it's good enough to make you want a better one. My first box was a Rochelle and did that job. Later, as a more experienced player, I had an "opportunity" to play a Hohner in a music shop and it was almost unplayable.

Think how many parts there are in a concertina and ask how they can throw one together for so little. There's a reason that there is some real rubbish at the bottom of the market.

• 6 years later...

Im a HOHNER dealer of harmonicas and Ive sold a few D40 Concertinas

with good results and feedback from the buyers. HOHNER makes

accordions in Germany and China but I believe that their only

concertina at this time D40 is made in China .

I have been warned about shipping accordions to tropical climates because

the reedblocks use a wax which is temperature sensitive. Its important to

insulate the instrument to avoid wax melting. I buy fishing gear and

one of the shops I buy from had a heatwave and the rubber bands

melted around the line spool. As far as shipping concertinas ive not yet had any problems.

Ive collected some other concertinas from what was East Germany

and they are pretty good sounding. There are some Italian companies that have 

made some concertinas which are players not sought after collectibles and they

also sound pretty good and are good value available from time to time used.

On 12/26/2022 at 4:09 AM, Buttonpusher said:

Im a HOHNER dealer of harmonicas and Ive sold a few D40 Concertinas

with good results and feedback from the buyers. HOHNER makes

accordions in Germany and China but I believe that their only

concertina at this time D40 is made in China .

AFAICT, by looking at the Hohner.de website, Hohner no longer makes or sells any concertinas.

I have to say I do not think it is really the thing to respond to the original 'thread' of this particular topic, as it was made back in 2016 apparently! However, seen as it has been 'resurrected' for some reason I think, in my opinion, as someone who owns a 'Hohner' branded 30 key Anglo, with genuine good quality Leather bellows, mahogany frame, which has, despite some technical issues now and again, most of which are fixable, with care, so far served me well over 24 years soon,  I am surprised by the harshness of the original opinion; and in fact would not myself have dared put such ferocious incantations on for all to see.  Let everyone choose their own heroes as far as musical instruments are concerned, and give fare opinions a chance, without the need to destroy the English language with extremes of vulgarity.

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW
corrected spell error [Note: without using vulgarity in my own explanation]