He'd Have To Get Under... (1913)

The last few WWI-era songs I've worked up haven't involved concertina, but as this one does I thought I'd post a link here:

https://youtu.be/HWVTU73bF_g

"He'd Have to Get Under Get Out and Get Under (To Fix Up His Automobile)"--yes, that's the actual title of the song--was published in 1913 by Maurice Abrahams (music), Grant Clarke and Edgar Leslie (lyrics), and was subsequently a hit for Al Jolson, Billy Murray and others. As mildly suggestive technological metaphor goes, it's about on a par with "Come Josephine in My Flying Machine," published four years earlier.

I give it a modest one-man band treatment here, but with Anglo front, center and on camera.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

A true master of the 'modern' one-man-band..... I last witnessed the crude old-fashioned acoustic version on the streets of central London in the early 1950s. In those days there were also still a few old barrel organs to lift the spirits of passers-by and also a jolly little group of very competent traditional musicians known, I believe, as the 'Happy Wanderers' who shuffled along in the gutter as they played and provided a perfect excuse for being late for work for those those of us who found it irresistible not to linger and listen. Perhaps such delights still exist ?

Thanks, Rod and bellowbelle. Rod, I don't really count overdubbing tricks as one-man band artistry; they're too easy. Keeping both hands going on a keyboard is more than enough of a multitasking challenge for me. But I've encountered the real deal now now and then, and I take my hat off to people who've actually mastered the act. There was one fellow I saw in New Orleans about twenty-five years ago who still makes me shake my head in disbelief.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Yes Bob. I can understand that 'overdubbing tricks' and 'one-man band artistry' are two totally different processes, but as someone who could never begin to do either I am in awe of anyone who can successfully do either. I have always thought that your overdubbing tricks are delightfully conceived and executed. Technology has opened up no end of opportunities and possibilities for clever multi-instrumentalists like you. You are always in impeccably perfect harmony with yourself ! Looking forward to more.