Slight Popping Noise

Hello again!

My edgley has now arrived and sounds lovely but I have one thing that I'd like the opinion of the group on please.

I have noticed there is a slight flapping popping sound from one of the right hand keys. Like it is making a piece of paper move. Would this again be normal for a new box? Something that needs to be worn in or something that needs attention? I worry that the shipping process might have damaged it.

Thanks in advance!

My edgley has now arrived and sounds lovely but I have one thing that I'd like the opinion of the group on please.

I have noticed there is a slight flapping popping sound from one of the right hand keys. Like it is making a piece of paper move. Would this again be normal for a new box? Something that needs to be worn in or something that needs attention? I worry that the shipping process might have damaged it.

Hard to tell without hearing it. But instead of asking "the group", I suggest you ask Frank himself, preferably arranging a phone call -- or a Skype video connection, -- so he can hear/see what's happening and (we hope) diagnose the problem. Frank stands solidly behind his work, and he's both helpful and friendly.

Will:

Frank makes his concertinas for easy self maintenance for the most common, simple problems.

Did you buy your concertina new from Frank or used from somebody else?

If used then you should also have received a copy of Frank's maintenance notes and the hex key (Allen key) used to take the ends off.

If you do not have these things then ask the seller for them. The Allen key is not a special size, maybe 1/8". I can send you a scanned copy of the notes if you cannot locate a copy. PM me your email address.

Don.

While Jim has recommended the best source for info regarding your concertina, to me what you have described is the sound of a noisy valve. Valves are generally made from some kind of leather -- frequently goat though some makers even use Mylar -- and if the valve curls up a bit, when air pressure hits it, the valve can make a light flap sound as it seals the opening -- just as the note starts to speak. This condition would be unlikely but not impossible on a brand new instrument. If this is the cause and the concertina in question is one of Frank's higher end models with traditional concertina reeds, it would be a shame for you to have to send it back for a valve adjustment or even replacement that would take five minutes or less for someone with the skills to fix it. But if you have one of his hybrids which use Italian accordion reeds, they may have Mylar valves which are not commonly stocked by most concertina repairmen.

Hopefully Frank can do a remote diagnosis and help you through a quick self repair. Best of luck and let us know how it works out.

Ross Schlabach

Thanks again guys!

I bought the concertina 'new', second hand - as in someone bought it and never played it. Its just over a year old - from the feel of it it's had very little play.

Don, I didn't get the instructions, so will PM you my address. I've also contacted Frank, so hopefully he can help!

Cheers

Will

I ended up calling Frank, and he advised me it was likely a curled valve. I opened her up and sure enough there it was. I've added a couple of images - does anyone know a UK contact that could help with either the parts or if they are in Kent, could do the repair?

Sorry to ask so many questions - I hope one day to be able to offer some advice of my own!

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

The photographs suggest a certain amount of curl on more than one valve. Is this something one would expect ?

I wondered that too Rod - perhaps it just needs a good play to get everything moving as it should!

Six or seven of the valves visible in your photographs look suspect to me, Will, but I am no expert in such things. I am curious to know what material has been used for the valves, and what may have caused them to distort. The instrument may well have had little play from its previous owner but I wonder under what conditions it has been stored.

It was built by Frank in 2015 and stored well I believe. I have spoken at length with the previous owner and he assures me it was kept in its case inside. I am no expert in valves - perhaps this is normal for a new Edgley? They seem to be made of leather or something that looks a lot like leather!

All new to me! I will email Frank and see what he says, I just don't want to become bothersome to him!

Charlie Marshall is a good source for replacement accordion-reed valves. http://cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Reed_Valves.html#4. He sells leather as well as plastic and faus-leather valves, but looks like yours are leather.

If the valves are mostly curled on one end, then the instrument might have been stored vertically in its case, which would cause the valves to fall away.

They're pretty easily replaced though! Some non-solvent contact cement works well.

Thanks!

I've just had a call from the ever helpful Graham Collicutt who gave me some advice to coax the valve back into shape. I have done this and the popping is noticably lessened. I'll keep playing and see if it sorts itself out. Might be a good idea to get some backup valves in the meantime though!

Thanks again!

The popping is probably the valve slapping closed, from a too-wide-open position.

If the worst comes to the worst, you can take the valve off, roll it slightly between your finger and thumb, to reverse the curve that it has acquired, and stick it back on with some weak glue.

Works for me. With a bit of care, you can reshape it perfectly. Obviously, you have to be careful with the glue, around the reed.

• Like 1

Just to update everyone (for those that care!)

I have ordered some new leather valves from Charlie Marshall, and they should arrive at some point this week. In the meantime, I followed some online instructions and removed the problem valves, rolled them between my fingers and then reapplied once straightened.

All is now playing really nicely. I will likely still replace the offending valves with new ones - but nice to have it playing well.

Thanks for all advice!

• Like 1