Square Herrington Anglo For Sale

sidesqueeze

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$1000 = £760 over 70 years, that's £10 a year

I'd join others with a contribution.

One condition: if you ever did sell the (a) concertina, I'd like you to pass on my contribution to someone else.

Harold and I were good friends, and he helped me to build my first (of two) concertinas. I remember that instrument and his other square ones fondly. Not to complicate your sale, but I would be willing to even-swap my hexagonal Herrington with whoever buys your instrument, and pay for all the shipping for the swap. I just obtained mine a few months ago from Frank Edgley, who just retuned it. CG 30 button, metal ends with hard case. Frank wrote about it on his blog, and advertised it on this forum; I paid $1800 for it. Happy to send pics to anyone interested.

The hex is probably a better instrument for most general purposes; the square ones are, as someone said, somewhat boisterous but endearing to some of us who knew Harold.

Cheers,

Dan

Let's name this concertina the Hercules. I'll put that on the case in gold leaf lettering! No damage will be done to the case.

Hercules had his pre op check today and he's too weak to go under the knife (and the saw). I am to feed him his favorite foods for a week and re-evalate, with hopes of putting off surgery until Spring.

Thanks again to the kind hearted people here. You brought a tear to a curmudgeon's eye!

Edited by cellokenno

Whatever happens I too would be happy to contribute financially. This community has already helped me a lot, and so I'm sure sending some cash to a member in need is the least I can do!

Looks like a fun instrument too

Both these Hercules are rare and precious things to be treasured.

I too would happily contribute towards the vertinary bill for the four legged Hercules. In the meantime I hope the pampering has the desired effect, if nothing else, I am sure he will be feeling a happier tortoise.

A pet needs surgery. Otherwise I would never part with this little gem!

It's a Harold Harrington square 30 button anglo. I bought it from this forum about five years ago for $1500.00, and given the circumstances, I'm willing to sell it for the same price.

Wow - I'm the original owner of this concertina.

A fine, incredibly durable instrument with a boisterous sound and great playability. In the years it was in my possession it never required service; these things are built like Sherman tanks. I was sorry to let it go, but it was surplus to my needs.

I've decided to accept JD Leedham's offer to "own, play, and curate" the Harrington Hercules anglo..

Like Jim Besser, I'm sorry to let it go but it's surplus to my needs. I haven't been playing it much since I got my Wally Carroll anglo two years ago!

The generosity and charity demonstrated by our membership is truly humbling. However, the money from this sale will cover the cost of the operation. And a donation to Cnet!

Thank you to all. I'll try to be more active here (I'm NOT a new member!) and I'll keep you all posted about little Herc 's condition. For now he is really enjoying an enhanced diet of fancy greens, watermelon, and hibiscus flowers.

Ken Shaw

Long Beach California

Just noticed that my lovely iPhone with its tiny print has taken it upon itself to replace "Herrington" with "Harrington" in my post and all of the ensuing correspondence. Wouldn't be getting off on the right foot without acknowledging my not being diligent in editing and an apology to the legacy of Harold Herrington. I work on occasion with a fellow named Harrington and that must have been enough incentive for my "smart" phone to know what spelling I really wanted.

I'd very much welcome any and all contributions relative to this instrument and its story. Any stories of Harold when he was first making these square instruments will stay with the instrument and will be shared with all. Creating a a new thread for this purpose is likely most appropriate.

I'll do my best to be a good steward for this important, contemporary piece of our rich concertina history.

I'd very much welcome any and all contributions relative to this instrument and its story. Any stories of Harold when he was first making these square instruments will stay with the instrument and will be shared with all. Creating a a new thread for this purpose is likely most appropriate.

I'll do my best to be a good steward for this important, contemporary piece of our rich concertina history.

The instrument was made for me in 1997, I believe it was. Harold had stopped building the square concertinas, but I sort of begged - I liked the looks of them. I had a lot of back and forth with Harold during the ordering process; he was incredibly responsive and fun to talk to.

At the time, it was the only readily available hybrid - this was before the Morse and Edgley boxes. Being in the US, I didn't want to order a Norman or a Guens -Wakker, which I think were the only others available.

It was my primary instrument for playing Morris and contra dance music for a few years. I took Noel Hill's Irish concertina class in 1999, I think it was, and Noel was highly amused by its unusual appearance in a world of Wheatstones, Lachenals and Suttners (the Irish tutoring didn't take, apparently, since I haven't played that style since). I brought it to several Northeast Squeeze Ins in the late 90s; at one, someone did a workshop on hybrids, with a table full of them to try and compare (I think the Morse boxes were available then, or at least a prototype). The Herrington more than held its own

It was relegated to backup status when I got my Jeffries, and was lent in succession to several new players while they were trying to figure out if Anglos were right for them. But I did play it for periodic gigs at civil war reenactment balls; somehow, it just looked right in that context. Ultimately, I replaced it with a Morse CG hybrid, which I use for Morris dance playing when the weather is just too bad to risk the vintage boxes. The only downside of the Herrington was its weight; for a Morris box, I wanted something lighter, and the Morse has served me well (too many Morses/morrises in a sentence, I know it's confusing).

I brought it to several Northeast Squeeze Ins in the late 90s; at one, someone did a workshop on hybrids, with a table full of them to try and compare (I think the Morse boxes were available then, or at least a prototype). The Herrington more than held its own

Ah, I remember that. It was the year we organized a makers' forum, and Rich Morse and Frank Edgley were present and participated. A very interesting session/forum/sharing of boxes. May they live long!

Ken

• 9 months later...

Due to health issues of my own and the dire state of health insurance coverage these days I'll be creating a new post for the sale of this wonderful instrument and piece of concertina history.

Please know that it's available immediately. I will be asking $1600- which is what it cost me including the shipping. I live in NH about an hour from Boston and an hour from the Button Box are nearby and wanted to come check it out otherwise I will ship it at your actual cost in the continental US.

That's the aforementioned Herrington Concertina with case $1,600 plus shipping anywhere in CONUS. Payment via PayPal or receipted cash if local pickup.

Kindest regards,

JD

• 2 months later...