Source For Spring Wire

Any suggestions for a source of wire for making my own springs?

Preferably in North America.

Looking at this video: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+concertina+springs&view=detail&mid=0E9183FF3B9AC4E9872A0E9183FF3B9AC4E9872A&FORM=VIRE

Anthony James is using .65mm phosphor bronze wire. This is about 22 gauge wire.

Don,

McMaster, but I'm not sure they ship to Canada anymore. You may need to have someone forward it to you or pick it up on the American side.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

haha cool alex!

I found it hard to find small quantities of spring wire but that site is great for it. Spring hard brass wire is also very hard to get full stop. Did you ever find a source of small quantities of spring hard brass wire? All I ever found for that stuff was commissioning a wire factory to make it which cost at least £300 and whoever I asked always seemed to gasp at the suggestion as if it was something deeply rare and esoteric.... Not helpful :P

Any suggestions for a source of wire for making my own springs?

Preferably in North America.

Looking at this video: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+concertina+springs&view=detail&mid=0E9183FF3B9AC4E9872A0E9183FF3B9AC4E9872A&FORM=VIRE

Anthony James is using .65mm phosphor bronze wire. This is about 22 gauge wire.

Try your local model train shop and see if they carry tubes of phosphor bronze wire. A tube contains about 12 pieces, each about 8 inches long and costs about $2.50US. Also Tichy Train Group has a web site, and they are a supplier. It comes in different gauges. I use .025.

Spring hard brass wire is also very hard to get full stop. Did you ever find a source of small quantities of spring hard brass wire? All I ever found for that stuff was commissioning a wire factory to make it which cost at least £300 and whoever I asked always seemed to gasp at the suggestion as if it was something deeply rare and esoteric.... Not helpful :P

I haven't looked; what are you using it for?

I've had good experience with used autoharp strings. Newly-bought ones should be even better. They're more readily available in the US than here in Europe.

I used the thickest plain steel string, which is string no. 14, note D.

Cheers,

John

I bought from a harpsichord maker initially but came to realise I was just putting a middleman between me and the real supplier.

If you are in the US McMaster-Carr is good, I recommend phospher-bronze rather than brass. They don't send out of the US (well, not to me anyway, they sent me a brilliantly worded email some years ago which said they couldn't make enough money out of me so goodbye) and consequently I get things I buy from them sent to friends who send them on. McMaster-Carr are blindingly and embarrassingly fast, back when they would send to me it was less than 36 hours from the US to on my doorstep in Australia.

Try,

Instrument Workshop

541 552 0989

Toll Free (US) 1 800 442 6036

shop77@fortepiano.com

www.fortepiano.com

Phos Bronze .0285 (item 1.0016307-28.5)

Rhos Bronze .020 (item 1.0016307-25)

I use the .025. The .0285 is just too tough.

One spool has provided so far700 springs and I think I am about 2/3 of the way through.

Took 5 days to arrive fro USA.

David

(PS they happily shipped to Australia)

Ah, Mr Anglo-Irish man. I just took the opportunity to visit your website, and what a lovely rendition of Waltzing Matilda, but I prefer the original, now known as the Queensland Version, although there is some contention as to whether it is the original or Queensland. It can be found here:

https://youtu.be/4ElJ9wQllJ0

Lots of options presented, thank you very much.

I did try a local hobby shop and bought a piece of .025 'music wire' which turned out to be steel. Something to experiment upon but not to use in anger. I walked out of the shop with a single 3' length of .025 wire and felt that I was carrying an assassin's weapon. Quite a creepy feeling.

One thing I have found out is that phosphor bronze wire comes in various tempers: soft, half-hard, hard and spring (which might be the same as hard?).

I assume that soft is inappropriate for this application but what about half-hard? Would this be springy enough but still allow for easy adjustment?

Try,

Instrument Workshop

541 552 0989

Toll Free (US) 1 800 442 6036

shop77@fortepiano.com

www.fortepiano.com

Very useful site in general. Not just wire, but leather, chamois and other interesting items.

haha cool alex!

I found it hard to find small quantities of spring wire but that site is great for it. Spring hard brass wire is also very hard to get full stop. Did you ever find a source of small quantities of spring hard brass wire? All I ever found for that stuff was commissioning a wire factory to make it which cost at least £300 and whoever I asked always seemed to gasp at the suggestion as if it was something deeply rare and esoteric.... Not helpful :P

Is this what you are looking for:

http://fortepiano.com/products-menu-item/wire-menu-item/copper-alloy-menu-item/spring-brass-menu-item

• 3 weeks later...