Hello all. I just purchased a concertina with the label Rigoletto. It has 20 buttons and is missing the air button. I don't know much about this instrument except that I have always loved Irish tunes, loved the sound of the concertina and wanted to learn to play it. From what I can tell, the other buttons are in working condition and seem to be even with one another. (If you can understand what I mean.) I don't know much about what an out of tune concertina should sound like. The bellows seem to be in perfect condition. But, truly, I am a newbie (although I sing and have played the fiddle.) So my first question is, where can I find an air button for replacement? Is that something I can fix myself? I am not sure how old the instrument is. It is very sweet looking. Any help?

Hello all. I just purchased a concertina with the label Rigoletto. It has 20 buttons and is missing the air button. I don't know much about this instrument except that I have always loved Irish tunes, loved the sound of the concertina and wanted to learn to play it. From what I can tell, the other buttons are in working condition and seem to be even with one another. (If you can understand what I mean.) I don't know much about what an out of tune concertina should sound like. The bellows seem to be in perfect condition. But, truly, I am a newbie (although I sing and have played the fiddle.) So my first question is, where can I find an air button for replacement? Is that something I can fix myself? I am not sure how old the instrument is. It is very sweet looking. Any help?

What's missing? Is there a hole where a button should be? Is there a lever and pad for a hole with no reed in it? Assuming it's an Anglo, the air button should be near to the thumb of your right hand when you're playing. If it's not an Anglo, then maybe it never had an air button. The Anglo is the one where you get a different note on each button depending on whether you are pushing or pulling.

If it's the type of 20 button Rigolleto that I'm familiar with it's a pretty easy fix. Usually these have wooden levers, and the button is a short length of plastic-coated wooden dowel, glued to the end of the wooden lever. These buttons are prone to coming un-glued from the lever. If you can find a replacement button, or fashion a replacement from a piece of dowel, just put a dab of glue on the end and position it on the lever so that it protrudes through the hole without touching the sides. If there isn't a build-up of old glue on the lever to clean off, you don't even need to take the concertina apart.

Edited by Bill N

Thank you for your answers. I believe it is an Anglo 20 button concertina. It is rather lovely. Yes there is a hole and from pictures that I've seen it looks like it should have an air button. I am not sure where the "levers" are. Embarrassed to say, I will have to do a little research to see what they are! I would like to keep up the authentic look of the instrument. Do you know of a supplier I can buy a button from. I believe the original buttons are ivory.

It would be very helpful if you could post a picture.

If you look into the hole where the air button should be, do you see a wooden bar, or a metal rod?

I would be very surprised if the buttons are ivory. Usually they are a hard, shiny plastic cap over a wooden core. If that is the case, you might find someone on this forum who would have a spare.

Edited by Bill N

More commonly the buttons are bone. Which is a good thing, as ivory could be a potential complication if you ever want to cross national borders with your instrument.

No idea where you might find something locally in NYC. One business that does repairs and likely would have spare parts, and wouldn't be too terribly far would be the button box in Massachusetts. www.buttonbox.com I haven't dealt with them personally, but they make their own instruments as well, and are well spoken of by many here. If you want to take a day trip I imagine it would be a fascinating place to visit.

If you just want a spare button, you might find it at www.concertina-spares.com located in the UK. I had no problems with an order for replacement hand straps last year, and they arrive pretty quickly even though I am in the USA.

edit: (message above came in while I was typing. Agreed, probably not ivory or bone.)

Edited by Tradewinds Ted

Can you measure your button for size? I have some spare Stagi/Bastari buttons (I think I bought them from The Buttonbox through the mail, though Bob Tedrow might also sell spares if you email him on his site). That said, there are a couple different sizes of button common in the old Italian concertinas, and some of the 20b concertinas had these big round German-style buttons. If you can post a photo of your instrument, maybe with a coin sitting by the buttons for scale, we can figure out what size you need.