Social Context For Concertinas

Ken wisely called off the discussion of the type of concertina a new player should get. I'm not trying evade that judgment, but I had what might pass for an insight that I'd like to share. If it's deemed inappropriate, I of course bow to that judgment.

Here is a set of propositions:

1. Some people more easily "take" to one system or another of concertina.

2. At various times and places, one type of concertina has been or is more predominant than another. Victorian parlors were the domain of the English, street musicians played "German" concertinas. The more affordable Anglo became entrenched in Irish, Boer, and many other cultures without a lot of ready cash, but we also know that many working-class players played the English system. There were a lot of cheap ECs out there, but some working-class players got the money together for good instruments!

3. Concertina players, no less than other folks, are subject to the birds of a feather phenomenon. If one type of instrument predominates in a genre of music or culture group, new concertina players will likely adopt that type of instrument. We're like bikers in that regard: at some events, you'd better show up in black leathers and on a Harley, at other events, on your BMW with Euro-style outfits.

4. Good players, of whatever system, can play music of a genre not usually played on their type of instrument. For example, Jody Kruskal did a wonderful job playing the mainly Playford (and Playford-style) dances for an English country dance ball in the Washington area a few years ago. It might be that those of us who are less talented might to better on an instrument associated with a particular genre of music, but that's a matter of skill.

This suggests to me that we should preface many of our statements with "For me . . ." or "Usually, in this community of musicians . . . ."

It also strikes me that our disagreements are disagreements among cousins. As concertina players, we have more in common with each other than we do with folks who play other instruments. I play an EC, bur I'm fascinated with many of the discussions here of Anglo issues. I'll never play one, but damn, this family business is interesting! Cousins can be wrong, of course, but were still family in the long term.

Mike

Like many of us, I was inspired early on by Alistair Anderson's (EC) playing. But in the mid-'70s I had other musical interests, and practically no money, so I put off purchasing an instrument for a couple of decades. By the time I finally took it up, I was an Irish session regular and caught up in that musical ecosystem, so naturally I chose the Anglo, which is what I still play.

In recent years I've had great fun expanding my repertoire and challenging myself to use the Anglo for other genres and styles of music (though I still play plenty of the diddly). Conversely, I love hearing Irish music on an English or duet box in the hands of a good player. I still wonder at times whether an EC might have been a better fit for my range of tastes and interests. I hope to pick one up someday (maybe a duet too!).

So if you should hear me advocating for the Anglo's versatility, or for its special qualities, no criticism of any other system is ever implied. If I had enough time and cash, I'd probably play them all.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Yes Bob. Anglos and ECs have tended to become needlessly associated with particular styles of music. When we admit to playing Concertina it can often be mistakenly assumed by others that we are simply purveyors of Folk, Morris and Irish style music. Certainly not in my case! I find my Anglo to be a very versatile little instrument. It is game to have a go at anything !

Yes I agree with that Mike we are closley related no more so than on this site .I listen to all Concertina players and find they all inspire me to improve my playing .Just recently I have been listening to the excelent Teachings of Steve Wilson (Thanks Steve) but I play Anglo. Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

Ken wisely called off the discussion of the type of concertina a new player should get. I'm not trying evade that judgment, but I had what might pass for an insight that I'd like to share. If it's deemed inappropriate, I of course bow to that judgment.

Here is a set of propositions:

1. Some people more easily "take" to one system or another of concertina.

2. At various times and places, one type of concertina has been or is more predominant than another. Victorian parlors were the domain of the English, street musicians played "German" concertinas. The more affordable Anglo became entrenched in Irish, Boer, and many other cultures without a lot of ready cash, but we also know that many working-class players played the English system. There were a lot of cheap ECs out there, but some working-class players got the money together for good instruments!

3. Concertina players, no less than other folks, are subject to the birds of a feather phenomenon. If one type of instrument predominates in a genre of music or culture group, new concertina players will likely adopt that type of instrument. We're like bikers in that regard: at some events, you'd better show up in black leathers and on a Harley, at other events, on your BMW with Euro-style outfits.

4. Good players, of whatever system, can play music of a genre not usually played on their type of instrument. For example, Jody Kruskal did a wonderful job playing the mainly Playford (and Playford-style) dances for an English country dance ball in the Washington area a few years ago. It might be that those of us who are less talented might to better on an instrument associated with a particular genre of music, but that's a matter of skill.

This suggests to me that we should preface many of our statements with "For me . . ." or "Usually, in this community of musicians . . . ."

It also strikes me that our disagreements are disagreements among cousins. As concertina players, we have more in common with each other than we do with folks who play other instruments. I play an EC, bur I'm fascinated with many of the discussions here of Anglo issues. I'll never play one, but damn, this family business is interesting! Cousins can be wrong, of course, but were still family in the long term.

Mike

Let me butcher a saying:

"When it's Anglo vs. English vs. Duet we fight like the dickens, when it's concertina vs. accordion we're all concertinists. And when you bring in banjo [or whatever your favorite target is] we're all free reed players..."

One thing that jumps out to me is, all systems must have considerable musical utility, or they wouldn't still be in use (and growing) after so many years.

Ken

P. S. Of course these are fair things to discuss. Please just agree to disagree, as confusing to a newbie as it may be to not have the same definitive answer from everyone. If such a definitive answer existed, we'd already know it and no one would need to ask.

"All music is folk music.I ain't never heard a horse sing a song."

-Louis Armstrong-

Also attributed to Leadbelly... and by now, to many others. :)

Some parrots have been reputed to be able to sing songs, even more than one verse. On the other hand, I've yet to hear of one playing a concertina. ;)

But these days we also have music performed and even composed by computers. Something for the classificationists to ponder, instead of "the difference" between "an accordion" and "a concertina"? B)