Blank Reed Slots In 26B Lachenal Anglo

nkgibbs

Dear Cnetters,

I have just opened up a recently acquired 26 button Lachenal Anglo #47891 and found that the reed pans at both ends have been cut for 28 buttons which leaves two reed chambers empty as shown in the photo below.

post-937-0-46807900-1468423921_thumb.jpg

Maybe this is common but I am not sure that I have noticed it before??

Neil

Dear Neil,

Thank you for your input.

Viewing detail of your reedpan photo, its for 30b, not 28b.

So my guess is that it was carried over from 30b standard parts for some reason (temporary parts shortage?). Anyway it is rare I think.

Best regards,

--

Takayuki

I've come across extra reed slots cut in the pans before, and even instruments that had the extra holes drilled in the pallet board with levers and (glued down) pads fitted, but no button holes in the fretwork. Such things may not be terribly common, but I wouldn't regard them as too unusual either.

They may have been the results of errors, or specifications changing in the course of manufacture, or simply using parts that were immediately available to make up an order.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I bought a 28 button Lachenal at auction recently and found 30 button reed pans inside complete with all reeds but no holes drilled in the action board nor any levers pads or buttons. The reed pans look original and I put it down to a shortage of the correct parts at the time of assembly. I regard it as an unexpected bonus. Regards Geoff.