Wanted English Barytone

achnbach

Hi, I'm looking for an english barytone, not too expensive and - if possible - starting from at least F2. I have bought one new from Stagi - labeled Baro - and am not fully satisfied with it (sometimes tones "hang", the keys are not independently free.

Up to End of August I live near NYC before returning to Berlin.

Hi, I'm looking for an english barytone, not too expensive and - if possible - starting from at least F2.

There are two used hybrid baritones currently on offer at The Button Box, one of which features the low F. I don't know whether they fall within your budget, but I doubt you'd find a vintage baritone (in this country, anyway) for less than what they're asking. The Button Box (I have no connection with them, apart from being a sometime customer) is a great shop to deal with, and even fairly close to NYC.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Edited by Bob Michel

Hi, I'm looking for an english barytone, not too expensive and - if possible - starting from at least F2.

There are two used hybrid baritones currently on offer at The Button Box, one of which features the low F.

Those are Morse instruments, made by the Button Box. Good quality and a pleasure to play, in my experience, though I don't currently own one.

And although you say "not too expensive", I'll note that they also have

1. a Lachenal/Crabb New Model baritone, with both a low F and a low D replacing duplicate accidentals
  2. a deluxe baritone-treble (by Crabb?); range not specified, but these often went down to the low F (mine does)

A visit to the Button Box would definitely be worth the trip, though potentially dangerous to your budget when you see these instruments "in person". ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to JimLucas and Bob Michel. Unfortunately I found those offers from Button Box - they are worth their price - before I posted my request. Let me still hope for a more "reachable" opportunity.

I would second what Jim says about the Morse instruments. I have one of their tenor trebles and have tried a baritone. Very responsive, light and well made. They do turn up second hand on eBay, via dealers and Cnet, often providing a saving on the new price. They do not use traditional concertina reeds, but the sound is quite acceptable to me, I recall the baritone had characteristics in common with quality brass reeded baritones (e.g. earlier Wheatstones), that is to say quite a mellow rounded tone and good reed response.

You might also consider the Conertina Connection 'Jack' baritone. I bought one of these second hand to make sure I really did 'need' a baritone instrument. I had a lot of fun with it before buying my Victorian baritone. OK, it's not Aeola quality, but it is a small fraction the price. It is a bit 'plasticky', but is essentially well engineered in my opinion (particularly for the price) and the reeds are quite responsive once it has been played for a minute or two. The bellows are decent and quite tough, and they usually come with a soft gig case. It is also of sufficiently low value and replacability for me not to worry too much when I put it down in a sing around and go to the loo or bar. There are a couple of therads on this forum describing how to improve Jack/Jackie concertinas, e.g. bushing the buttons.

As my Jack is now sitting in its case unplayed, I might consider selling it - PM me if interested.