Concertinas And Sea Music

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... but you did have hooker in the lines of that song.

Well, where I live that is the name for the traditional Galway Bay sailing boat, technically speaking a "gaff cutter". And every summer they do race them, at various regattas around the Bay. If you ever come on that trip to Ireland, make sure you go to Cruinniú na mBád (the gathering of the boats) at ould Kinvara quay.

Our "fast hookers" look like this, in action:

galway-hooker.jpg

But I believe yours may be a little different? :huh:

Maybe this too belongs in the "Language" thread ? ;)

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Rod,

I took a trip to Antarctica in '99. Spent an overnight in Argentina and they took

us to a tango show. It was amazing. It made an impression on me, made me want to get involved somehow.

I was unable to slick back my hair (don't have much), found it difficult to

place a smoldering glower into my eyes (fire is almost out?), and I am sure I would have kicked myself silly had I actually tried a step or two (to say nothing of the damage to a partner).

I was fascinated by the bandoneon. When I returmed from the vacation (which was wonderful - enjoy yours - if you go to South Georgia, it is amazing)

I started to do research. Bandonion related to concertina, concertina used for

Irish music, I have Irish ancestors, so I bought a anglo, and have been trying to

get better at it ever since.

So, enjoy your trip, do see a tango, your shipmates (and the penguins) will

appreciate your concertina.

There is a book written by George Marston and James Murray called Antarctic Days. It tells about Shackleton's trip for his Polar attempt from a crew member point of view, daily life, etc. The last chapter talks about chanties and has music for a number of them. No mention of instruments, but they describe the use of chanties on the ship NIMROD, to accomplish sailing ship tasks.

The Chanties in the book are listed below. so if you and your shipmates were to play and sing any of these, you'd be authentic!

Santa Ana, Leave Her Johnnie, Drunken Sailor, Whisky Johnnie, Yankee Ship,

Blow the Man Down, Shenandoah, Sally Brown, The Merman, Rio Grande, Paddy Doyle's Boots, Storm Along, Spanish Ladies

Bon Voyage!

I'm not quite up on how to get the qoute function to work, but in response to Jim's comment on the extra measures, there are a couple of measures duplicated. Measures 19 and 20 are repeated as measures 21 and 22. If you drop the first two measures of the last line (21 and 22) it all comes together. Not all the notes match the rendition from the Cherish the Ladies recording "The Girls Won't Leave the Boys Alone" but it is close.

Thanks for the link Stephen, I'm enjoying playing this tune.

- Keith

Not all the notes match the rendition from the Cherish the Ladies recording "The Girls Won't Leave the Boys Alone" but it is close.

I haven't heard the Cherish the Ladies recording, but they most likely got the song from the singing of Delia Murphy. It was the title track of her only LP in 1961, though she had recorded many 78's previously.

I used to share a flat with Delia's grandson, the piper Ronan Brown.

• 1 month later...

Bit off-topic, but . . .

We're back from Antarctica!! Wonderful trip!

The concertina connection is in 3 parts:

1. We visited Art Altenburg's "Concertina Bar" in Milwaukee. (Due to a quirk in airline pricing policy, we travelled to the Antarctic Peninsular from Brisbane via Sydney, San Francisco, Chicago, Buenos Aires and Ushuaia. Thus a side trip to Milwaukee - where my sister lives - made some sense).

Art is a real character, and I would recommend anyone of the concertina persuasion to visit his bar.

2. In Buenos Aires, we naturally saw a tango show - complete with virtuoso Bandonian player. Yes - it was as good as Mike said it would be.

3. The attached photo - of me playing in Antarctica. Note my loyal fan cheering and applauding over my shoulder.

post-695-1110321745_thumb.jpg

Hey Rod isn't that a penguin cheering to the sound of a Kookaburra (concertina that is).

Picked it in one, Scott - yes that is No 14! (and it was tough enough to survive the trip).

The effect on the penguins was interesting. At the first note, they all moved rapidly in the general direction of away. As I played, they came back to investigate, and when I stopped, set up a chorus of their own.

When I started playing a second time, they sang along (this was when this photo was taken).

Does this make them session "chanters"?