Concertinas And Sea Music

Nice picture, Stephen.

Where's the pointy hat?

Oh, that photograph is something of an "historical document" at this stage Helen, sitting on a very famous couch (in the concertina world) waiting for something to happen at the photoshoot for The Concertina Record in 1979:

ConcertinaRecord.jpg

Long before the days of "pointy hats" ! :P

Edited by Stephen Chambers

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might like to try the National Maritime Museum's research guide Music and the Sea. Interestingly, it mentions that among the museum's small collection of musical instruments is:-

Concertina by C Jones, Patent concertina manufacturer, used by seaman William Figg in the 1860s on board HMS Royal Oak and Juno.

(Also interesting. in the light of the above discusiion, is:-

Banjo used by Dr Hussey on Shackleton's Antarctic expedition in Endurance, 1914 and signed by members of the expedition.

Will we never be free of them :( ).

Chris

The kind of "clip" on your instrument is a design that Wheatstone used in later years.  If it says Wheatstone and your instrument is a Lachenal, then the thumb straps and mountings must have been replaced some time after the instrument was made.

The metal clips on the thumbstraps of my Lachenal Edeophone are also stamped "Wheatstone". S'funny, I never noticed it before.

The kind of "clip" on your instrument is a design that Wheatstone used in later years.  If it says Wheatstone and your instrument is a Lachenal, then the thumb straps and mountings must have been replaced some time after the instrument was made.

The metal clips on the thumbstraps of my Lachenal Edeophone are also stamped "Wheatstone". S'funny, I never noticed it before.

Presumably it went back for some work after Lachenal was taken over. Fortunately it still has the original round screws on the side, so I can always go back if necessary. I wasn't happy with the way this style of clip digs into the wood so I've sleeved the sharp little teeth for the moment.

Looks like the clip you showed was the right one for the Shackleton photo :)

Chris

And for what "cause" were those sailors discharged?

Isn't playing the concertina cause enough?

I will be going "off air" in a couple of days (for 5 weeks) - "bound for Cape Horn". :)

Actually we are leaving from South America on a trip to Antarctica on this ship (but of course, it is not a ship, but a barque). We should see Cape Horn on the way there or back.

I am taking my Kookaburra concertina, so I may be able to add to the photos of concertinas aboard ship by one. I hope to be able to learn some Dutch shanties as well.

I only hope that I am not put ashore "with cause".

Talking about fishermen and Concertinas, did anyone see that (UK) tv advert a couple of years ago where a fisherman appears to slice a concertina in half with a spade to shut the old guy up who was (pretend) playing it?

I hope not to - it sounds too traumatic :o - do they allow high-level violence on TV?

Isn't playing the concertina cause enough?

More than sufficient ! ;)

Actually we are leaving from South America on a trip to Antarctica ...

Wow, when I was a child we were always looking at slides that my uncle took when he was there with the New Zealand Navy, a couple of times in the 1950's. I wonder whatever happened to them ?

I only hope that I am not put ashore "with cause".

It sounds like a great adventure, but I must confess that personally I would rather be "discharged from the ship in Argentina", with or without cause. I'm afraid I would much prefer some hot-blooded tangos to those icy wastes, so I would really love to go to Buenos Aires someday, maybe I could do it across the Atlantic on a sailing barque ? Now there's a thought !

Edited by Stephen Chambers

maybe I could do it across the Atlantic on a sailing barque ? Now there's a thought !

Not a bad thought at all - note that in Nov 2005, Europa is doing a run down the east Coast of South America (following an Atlantic crossing).

On our trip, we will be stopping briefly (2 nights) in Buenos Aires during our flights to Ushuaia, and hope to see at least some hot tangos, and hear some Bandonians in the wild. :rolleyes:

Have a wonderful trip, Rod.

The barque is beautiful.

Hope you are not put off ship with cause, better to be put off with Claus, co-founder of the shepherd support group (for when we were begging for the shepherd joke). If you get put off with Claus, you can both play your concertinas.

We will just have to post for you for the five weeks, if Rod were here he would say,,,

You think you can get into trouble on your own, wait until we speak for you.

Helen

Talking about fishermen and Concertinas, did anyone see that (UK) tv advert a couple of years ago where a fisherman appears to slice a concertina in half with a spade to shut the old guy up who was (pretend) playing it?

I hope not to - it sounds too traumatic :o - do they allow high-level violence on TV?

I swear it was so. The old guy was singing a sea song and supposedly playing the 'tina while the other bloke was trying to advertise, I think, John West tinned fish! He stopped halfway through and cut the tina in half!

I swear it was so. The old guy was singing a sea song and supposedly playing the 'tina while the other bloke was trying to advertise, I think, John West tinned fish! He stopped halfway through and cut the tina in half!

Well if you ask me it sounds like a darn good reason not to buy tins of John West tuna, never mind the dolphins ! :angry:

We could start a new movement, Concertinists Against John West ? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

The barque is beautiful.

Helen,

You just reminded me of Delia Murphy's song "The Queen of Connemara" :

Oh! My boat can safely float in the teeth of wind and weather

And outrace the fastest hooker between Galway and Kinsale;

When the black floor of the ocean and the white foam rush together,

High she rides, in her pride, like a sea-gull through the gale.

chorus: Oh she's neat! Oh she's sweet! She's a beauty in ev'ry line!

The Queen of Connemara is that bounding barque of mine.

When she's loaded down with fish till the water lips the gunwale,

Not a drop she'll take on board her that would wash a fly away;

From the fleet she'll slip out swiftly like a greyhound from her kennel,

And she'll land her silver store the first at ould Kinvara quay.

chorus:

There's a light shines out afar, and it keeps me from dismaying

When the skies are ink above us and the sea runs white with foam,

In a cot in Connemara there's a wife and wee one praying

To the One who walked the waters once, to send us safely home.

chorus: