Sign in to follow this  
darticus

Concertina Button Spaceing

Do all concertinas have different button spacing. I play a Hohner D40 20 button and thought it was good spacing. When I tried a Stagi W15 30 button the spacing was very close. Is this a normal issue depending on concertina? I guess its more a get use to problem. Thanks Ron

I had the same issue, but I think all (most?) higher-quality concertinas have closer button spacing, if only to squeeze 30 buttons onto a smaller instrument. There's an left hand F chord on the pull that I can hit on the D40 but which I can't contort my fingers for on my Clover. I've been leaving out one note and it sounds fine. For single notes it just took a couple of days to get used to.

Mike

Edited by MJGray

I had the same issue, but I think all (most?) higher-quality concertinas have closer button spacing, if only to squeeze 30 buttons onto a smaller instrument. There's an left hand F chord on the pull that I can hit on the D40 but which I can't contort my fingers for on my Clover. I've been leaving out one note and it sounds fine. For single notes it just took a couple of days to get used to.

Mike

OK Thanks

I thought maybe it was a child size. I'm starting to get use to it. Maybe this is a keeper. Looks and sounds great. Ron

Brian Hayden was very specific about the spacing on Hayden Duet concertinas. But when Stagi started making Haydens, they didn't know about it, and so they're all wrong. Pretty much any other Hayden will have the standard spacing.