Strange Wheatstone

I thought I "remembered" a "torn in two" concertina in a Tommy Elliott video which aside from the current "sailor" one I have not been able to find. (I also seem to remember in that video a "captain's wheel" of beeping horns that was horizontal rather than vertical and played by a frenetic, circling mass as part of the act.)

My very dim recollection has the performer finishing the tune on the torn apart concertina by stabilizing each torn end (between the legs?) and finishing the tune. This could be just a projection of my reading a music hall account, but there is a possibility a video exists.

Greg

I thought I "remembered" a "torn in two" concertina in a Tommy Elliott video which aside from the current "sailor" one I have not been able to find. (I also seem to remember in that video a "captain's wheel" of beeping horns that was horizontal rather than vertical and played by a frenetic, circling mass as part of the act.)

My very dim recollection has the performer finishing the tune on the torn apart concertina by stabilizing each torn end (between the legs?) and finishing the tune. This could be just a projection of my reading a music hall account, but there is a possibility a video exists.

Greg

It is is not a video clip but I found a "Tommy Elliott with his ‘breakaway’ concertina" (pdf) in a Fig.9 of PICA #5 2005 (page27, page 12 in that pdf).

It also says "Tommy played independently on each hand"!

--

Taka

With regards to the centre section being held rigidly in place, there is an English patent that shows how this can be done; though I'm not sure if this works very well. I have the illustration from the patent somewhere, and will see if I can find it.

Inventor.

I'm imagining a trick where the magician starts playing, and an assistant behind a curtain takes over playing the bass end.

Then they pull the curtain apart, giving an illusion of someone with arms 10 ft long. It would look funny.

Or maybe someone previously owned one of the german concertinas with big bellows and a solid centre piece, and got Wheatstones to make him one along the same lines.