Wheatsone Linota

DDF

Also a 7-fold bellows and what look like deeper than usual ends. A baritone? I don't see keys specified. More likely than a baritone, I might guess F/C, i.e., a fifth lower than a standard C/G or a full tone lower than the usual G/D?

The Wheatstone ledgers at the Horniman Museum confirm that this concertina was sold in April 1930 but did not specify pitch. There was a term "Hoc" in the description which I do not know how to decipher. But I agree with Jim that it is likely a flat pitch instrument and as such is likely Ab/Eb or lower.

Regards,

Ross Schlabach

7" (78mm) I'm failing to understand this relationship expressed as the measurement "across from side to side on the end." 78mm is not 7 inches.

It could be a typo, I guess, missing a leading 1, maybe. Maybe the ad is rife with typos, including the price.

Edited by Laitch

Thanks Bill for the correction. But Laitch, the auctioneer's estimates are frequently a mere fraction of the amount actually realized. More likely, the final bid will be two or more times the pre-auction estimate especially considering the vintage of the concertina. Just sayin......

Ross Schlabach

Also a 7-fold bellows and what look like deeper than usual ends. A baritone? I don't see keys specified. More likely than a baritone, I might guess F/C, i.e., a fifth lower than a standard C/G or a full tone lower than the usual G/D?

To me, it looks a lot like the GD Wheatstone anglo our friend Rickard owns, and his is (if I recall correctly) also 7".

Adrian

Edited by aybee