38-Key Jeffries In Bb/f For Sale

david robertson

This is a cracking example of a Praed Street Jeffries - fast, loud, and full of beans, with that famous Jeffries 'honk' in the bass. Having slumbered in a cupboard for half a century or more, it was in fine original condition when it came in, and amazingly, almost playable, with a great set of reeds, even if some of them were arranged in a slightly unusual way! (Now rearranged in more conventional fashion - see attached layout chart.)

The leather-bug had, however, been nibbling at the corners of the bellows, so I have made and fitted a new 7-fold set, as well as replacing pads, valves and bushes, French polishing the woodwork, and tuning to modern concert pitch.

So many of these Bb/F instruments have been tuned up to C/G that they are now quite hard to find, but I, at least, find that the range is much more singer-friendly. You can find a small sound clip attached, though mercifully without my vocals.

I'm looking for a modest £3500 - and as always, if you're within reach of Norwich, you're more than welcome to come and have a squeeze.

Edited by david robertson

• 3 weeks later...