Vintage Crabb?

josqueeze

I am considering purchasing what I think is a vintage Crabb 31 button anglo, metal ends, now C/G but possibly retuned.

There is no makers stamp, the disc says Rushworth and Dreaper, which I understand was a prestigious music shop in Liverpool. However, the fretwork and chamber construction point to it being a Crabb rather than a Laschenal who also made for Rushworth and Dreaper.

The C row plays well but there are a number of reeds on the G row which are much quieter than the others. There are already some repairs to the bellows, the tooling is completely gone and a few of the reeds are a little rusty so it needs some serious repair work , which I would have done professionally. It hasn't been played for some time so smells musty and shows slight signs of damp with a little verdigris on the strap pins but fits beautifully in my hands and is responding well to being played, except for the quiet notes.

The number inside is 8833.

So my question is, can anyone help with identifying this instrument and is it likely that the quiet reeds would come up given some TLC?

Hi Josqueeze

Welcome to Cnet.

It sounds as if you potentially have a very nice instrument.

Received wisdom seems to be that the likes of Rushworth & Dreaper rebadged the instruments of others - and as you suggest, were not the makers.

Others on this forum with far greater knowledge will be able to expand on this, but (as someone who lives in Liverpool and keeps an eye out for such things) I recall seeing both a Jones anglo and a German 'Anglo' with this dealer's label.

If you are able to post some photographs on the forum then that would greatly aid identification.

In terms of appraisal and next steps, I see you are based in Yorkshire - so you are probably reasonably close to both Dave Elliot and Theo Gibb (both have easily googled websites). They are both restorers who are regular (and generous) contributors to this forum. There are, of course, many other good restorers (I think Bill Crossland is also Yorkshire based), but Dave and Theo have both undertaken work for me and I have been pleased with the results.

So, in answer to the first part of your question, photos would probably bring a result from the Cnet community. They might also help inform an answer as to why the reeds are not readily speaking as expected.

[EDIT: Cross posted with Theo - we must have been typing at the same time, but me slower!]

Edited by Myrtle's cook

Previous posts are suggesting good repair people. Chances are a whole series of weaker notes along a row or in a cluster is due to a slipped or loose corner block which supports that part of the reed pan. Regluing the support block(s) in the proper place should help properly seal the reed pan against the button board and revitalize the weak notes.

Greg

The number inside is 8833.

So my question is, can anyone help with identifying this instrument and is it likely that the quiet reeds would come up given some TLC?

The records show; 8833 was made in 1908 by my grandfather, Henry Thomas Crabb.

There is no indication of the original tuning (Keys).

Whether the quiet reeds can be improved will depend on the cause. Whilst 'arms length' suggestions may be offered, the best option is to seek 'hands-on' investigation by an experienced repairer.

Rushworth & Dreaper were among many dealers who were supplied with Crabb made Concertinas.

Geoffrey.