Chords

I try to play 20 button Anglo but can't get the hang of left hand chords.

Is there a simple tune with chords to practise the concept

You should check out Alan Day's tutor; it will take you much farther than a single tune. It's currently available here. It's an audio tutor, though there's also a PDF of all the tunes (thanks to David Barnert) and a bit of explanation.

Note that the above link is a directory of all the files comprising the tutor. Please begin by reading the one web page at the beginning: "00 - About-These-Files.htm". It advises you to download the individual files to your own computer and access them from there. This saves both you and Etan (the owner of that web site) from being charged for repeated downloads. You could download them all "at once" (though I still had to do them individually), or simply each one when you're ready to use it.

Enjoy! :)

I'd like to put in a good word for H.T. Merrill's 1872 "Harmonic Method for the Concertina", found here:

https://archive.org/details/merrillsharmonic00merr

I found this a couple of weeks ago, and as a beginner, it's done wonders for my left hand dexterity. The first half of the book is a "musical catechism", which is hilarious, but not very useful. The next section of "Exercises" is gold, though. It builds up a lot of very rich accompaniment in a very straightforward, along-the-row style. The tunes are also fun. A lot of overlap with material in Howe's 1879 tutors, but much richer arrangements.

I started out with Alan Day's tutor, but got frustrated with the audio going too quick to follow what was going on with the left hand. Then I switched to Gary Coover's book "Anglo Concertina in the Harmonic Style" and found learning from dots and tablature to be very effective in picking up accompaniment patterns while at the same time learning some beautifully arranged pieces.

Everyone will have a different learning style, but this is what worked for me.

Lincoln

I try to play 20 button Anglo but can't get the hang of left hand chords.

Is there a simple tune with chords to practise the concept

You should check out Alan Day's tutor; it will take you much farther than a single tune. It's currently available here. It's an audio tutor, though there's also a PDF of all the tunes (thanks to David Barnert) and a bit of explanation.

Note that the above link is a directory of all the files comprising the tutor. Please begin by reading the one web page at the beginning: "00 - About-These-Files.htm". It advises you to download the individual files to your own computer and access them from there. This saves both you and Etan (the owner of that web site) from being charged for repeated downloads. You could download them all "at once" (though I still had to do them individually), or simply each one when you're ready to use it.

Enjoy! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jim for finding this link again ,I thought it had disappeared.

I stress in the tutor that the first couple of lessons are the most important.I spent hours with them.I have found that many following the way I learnt to play chords skip over the initial lessons to get on with the tunes.I can understand your boredom ,but stick with it.It is not that difficult, but it takes time and patience.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a working link to the PDF files these days? The link in the online intro doesn't seem to work and I imagine anyone listening to the audio files will also want to see the PDF files too.

In the folder of online files that I linked to above, the last file in the list is the PDF, but here is a direct link.

And thanks to Etan Ben-Ami, who has made it all available on his own web site.

Edited to add: But I've downloaded all the files to my own computer, just in case.

Edited by JimLucas

Hi Conrad,

My go-to tune for first learning the 20-button Anglo and also for learning basic accompanying chords is Stephen Foster's 1848 classic "Oh! Susanna" - see attached page from "Civil War Concertina".

Every tune in the book can be played on a 20-button and most have harmonies and chords if you want to include them with the melodies. There are free samples here on cnet, plus Amazon's "Look Inside" feature might get you to a few more freebies. You can also see and hear videos of all 60 tunes at www.youtube.com/angloconc in the Civil War Concertina playlist.

I've also attached a 20-button chord chart from "Easy Anglo 1-2-3". You don't have a lot of choices, but the 20-button is capable of quite a lot more than most people think. Best of luck in unlocking its secrets!

Gary

73-OhSusanna-C-ANGLO-20b.pdf

56-Anglo-123-LHS-20-Chords.pdf

There is an iphone app for finding chords in bandoneons, german concertinas and angloconcertinas.

http://joergbleymehl.de/en/bandochords/

He is developing also the app for android.

It is also online and below the page you can change the language, deutsch, english and español.

http://www.bandochords.de/BandoChords/