Tedrow's Site Down For Days?

Well, it was working this morning when I posted to your thread, but like you, I can't get into this part of his website. Sure seems like a website problem.

Ross Schlabach

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to be working fine here in Canada, but I have just got ask you about this beast:

http://hmi.homewood.net/harley/

It looks magnificent! I really like the look of rectangular concertinas, but does the aesthetic result in having hold and rest the concertina differently? Can it be played sitting down with an end on one thigh?

My second question relates to the holes around the edges of the ends. Is this purely aesthetic (nothing wrong with that) or does it result in the player being able to hear the instrument better, especially in group session.

From another thread:

A very short film I made in commemoration of the lives lost on Empire Day in 1913. Sound track is my version of Roslin Castle, played on a 2007 Holmwood trenor-treble concertina, made by Hamish Bayne. The film is here:

And from this thread:

Bob Tedrow
Homewood Music
http://hmi.homewood.net

I've been aware of Hamish Bayne and Bob Tedrow as concertina makers for decades, and even knew the names of their companies. But it never occurred to me until just now, seeing them both on screen the same day, that one is "Holmwood" and one is "Homewood," presumably pronounced the same.

The site is still not loading for me, at the time of writing.

I can get in to the site with no problem, but I cannot get rid of the pop-up

window inviting me to log on to the FaceBook page - as I don't use FB this

is a little frustrating...

Roger

After further investigation, I find that hmi.homewood.net is not propagating to my DNS servers. Which is strange, because I'm not having problems with any other sites.

I hope the following helps, it's what I'm seeing here:

$ nslookup hmi.homewood.net
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

$ nslookup www.example.com 
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   www.example.com
Address: 93.184.216.34

On the other hand, hmi.homewood.net is present on Google's public DNS servers:

$ nslookup hmi.homewood.net 8.8.8.8
Server:         8.8.8.8
Address:        8.8.8.8#53

Name:   hmi.homewood.net
Address: 206.166.254.186

$ nslookup hmi.homewood.net 8.8.4.4
Server:         8.8.4.4
Address:        8.8.4.4#53

Name:   hmi.homewood.net
Address: 206.166.254.186

So it looks like the domain name has propagated to some DNS servers, but not to others. Mr. Tedrow: You might want to bring this up with your hosting provider. I'll reach your site by adding Google's DNS servers to the ones I usually look up, but this is a temporary workaround (I'm not too keen on Google Inc.)

Edited by Drew

Seems to be working fine here in Canada, but I have just got ask you about this beast:

http://hmi.homewood.net/harley/

It looks magnificent! I really like the look of rectangular concertinas, but does the aesthetic result in having hold and rest the concertina differently? Can it be played sitting down with an end on one thigh?

My second question relates to the holes around the edges of the ends. Is this purely aesthetic (nothing wrong with that) or does it result in the player being able to hear the instrument better, especially in group session.

Bob made 2 of these from photos and measured drawings of a family heirloom in my possession. The original is a 26 button instrument, with 6 buttons in the C row, and 2 outlying accidentals at the outer corners. It has wooden levers, although the buttons are arrayed in shallow arcs, and the reeds are riveted to 4 flat-mounted brass plates. The accidentals are on individual zinc plates. He reproduced the case-work quite accurately, although his is a slightly longer rectangle, but the workings are a modern Tedrow 30 button in a lovely growly Bb/F tuning.

I never found it awkward to play, and mostly played it sitting down with the left end resting on my knee. ( the original takes a bit of getting used to because of the non-standard orientation of the rows). Not sure what the original purpose of the side vents was- could be part of the obvious effort to tart up what is essentially a German box to fill a gap between the cheap 20 button German instruments and the expensive English made boxes (e.g. gold tooling, rosewood fretwork, full-leather bellows, etc.) I never found I could hear the Tedrow any better in a session than my un-vented Morse. Ian Bell has it now, and is doing it justice!

I can open the site from the UK no problem and without the FB window coming up. Perhaps it depends on your browser? I'm using Firefox.

I'm using Firefox too and it's still happening. It's also happening if I use Chrome. I don't

know enough about this stuff to be able to speculate as to what the reason might be...

Not a major problem, just a minor irritation...

Roger

Bob's site has grown up over a long period and as new web based resources have come along they have just be added on. So it is a site that lacks the structure that we have come to expect on websites. For example if I go to homewood.net see a page with no direct links to concertina pages. It's all quite charmingly rustic, and it may be an example of Bob's proud claim to be "50 years behind the times"

It's all quite charmingly rustic, and it may be an example of Bob's proud claim to be "50 years behind the times"

I still have my Kaypro II in my attic. Maybe I should fire it up and see if I can access the site. Oh, wait: it doesn't have a modem!