Wanted: Small Crane Duet

Nighthawk

I'm looking for a small and sturdy Crane Duet for traveling. 35 buttons would work although I'm sure I'll miss the high A. It doesn't have to look pretty, but it does need a modern tuning.

Thanks.

I have a 35 button Wheatstone and I think its great. I also now have access to a 48 key Lachenal. What I notice the most is while learning to play songs I find the 35 button "easier" since I have only 3 notes of overlap, so the choice as to which note to play is not an issue. On my 48 key I now have to think about it since there's more duplicate notes. Eventually I want to get a 55 key just for all that extra overlap.

The 35 key concertina is 6.25 inches across the flats whereas the 48 key is slightly larger at 6.5. Even though its only a little bigger and has only 13 extra notes the 48 key is noticeably heavier. I notice that for my 2 boxes that the Wheatstone sounds more informal, or gruff, for lack of better terms, and the Lachenal sounds more uptight, nasal, but in very good tune, almost like a formal sound.

Nighthawk has dibs, but Friar if he doesn't buy yours first shoot me a line. I have a Lachenal 35b Crane right now and wouldn't mind something a little finer if the price is right! And/or if I get Friar's I can cut Nighthawk a deal on mine; it's in Colombia right now but I'm having it shipped back.

The 35 key concertina is 6.25 inches across the flats whereas the 48 key is slightly larger at 6.5. Even though its only a little bigger and has only 13 extra notes the 48 key is noticeably heavier.

Size and weight can vary depending on make, model, and materials. I've mentioned before that my 48-button rosewood(?) Crane & Sons is exactly the same size and weight as my 55-button "ebony" Lachenal New Model.

Weight isn't really a concern, it's more about how much space it takes up in my carry-on bag and my ability to afford it. I was thinking that a 35 button would be less desirable (therefore cheaper) and physically smaller. The smaller part doesn't seem to be the case now that I've heard from people that have them. And I suppose any miniature, child-sized, or otherwise small ones would be very rare.

Matthew, you should drop Lyle a line. If you do find an upgrade, I'd be interested in hearing about your less fine one.

Nighthawk, whether I get Lyle's or no, I could sell you the Lachenal 35b for what I have into it (and I'll cover shipping costs from Colombia since I need it back in the US anyway). My musician friend who's borrowing it says a few notes are a little sticky on the reeds but he didn't want to open it and try to get any loose fluff or dust out; if you like I can have it mailed to Greg Jowaisas for a tune-up if you want to pay those costs, or if you want to just do very simple owner-level maintenance and see how it works for you I can have my American friend in Colombia just mail it to you directly.

I paid $530 for mine, and then had it tuned and serviced by Greg, but I can do you the same $530 on it if that price works for you; no extra charge for the Greg work or the shipping, but Customs may or may not hit you with some small fee but I can try marking the package as being a return of a previously-US item coming back from a loan. Let me know if interested. I'll eventually track down a 35, 42, or 48 Crane for myself but I'm in no hurry since I'm busy with my Hayden these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Nighthawk,

I don't know if you are still looking for a crane duet.

Check this one out on ebay.com (quick as auction ends today 22 june),

Search on ebay.com for "lachenal crane triumph concertina", It is offered by Cocoa111, currently for 700 GBP, being restored and in concert pitch.

Best of luck,

Marien

Mine is a 35 button Wheatstone Crane from 1934. Reconditioned by Greg Jowaisas: pads, valves, tuned, etc. Original (I believe) case.

I don't play it, and just haven't gotten around to selling it.

Located in the San Francisco Bay Area

Anyone can drop me a message if interested in learning more

...Lyle

Thanks marien. I bought my primary instrument from him and this one is very similar. I'm looking for something for travel that is cheaper and ideally smaller (although I think now that's very unlikely)

Matthew, I missed your reply. I'll send you a PM.

The 35 key concertina is 6.25 inches across the flats whereas the 48 key is slightly larger at 6.5. Even though its only a little bigger and has only 13 extra notes the 48 key is noticeably heavier.

Size and weight can vary depending on make, model, and materials. I've mentioned before that my 48-button rosewood(?) Crane & Sons is exactly the same size and weight as my 55-button "ebony" Lachenal New Model.

thanks for the information on the Crane size/weight. I only have my 2 boxes to compare, so I mistakenly believed they were representative of all Crane style concertinas. If I ever get another one I will pay closer attention to material and size.