He's Back!

Paul Read

For a Mahogany ended (Brass Reed) Lachenal ! ! !

Seeing that the right hand rail isn't stamped STEEL REEDS it quite likely has brass ones, though it wouldn't be the first time I encountered one like that that had been retro-fitted with steel tongues. Unfortunately the description doesn't elaborate on that significant detail.

Mind you I had a brass-reeded one, about 5 years ago, that was astonishingly good!

Seeing that the right hand rail isn't stamped STEEL REEDS

Not sure we're looking at the same listing but the one I am looking at (this one) has a fourth photo of a stamped handrail, although in fairness and on second thought, it is the left one.

Edited by Peter Laban

I get this message: "We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is unable to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

I'd noticed this listing too. Is the seller known to members on this forum? It seemed a reasonable 'buy it now' price but not too much info on the concertina itself.

Seeing that the right hand rail isn't stamped STEEL REEDS

Not sure we're looking at the same listing but the one I am looking at (this one) has a fourth photo of a stamped handrail, although in fairness and on second thought, it is the left one.

Yes, same listing Peter, only I looked at the right hand rail because that's the one where Lachenal always put their Trade Mark and STEEL REEDS stampings, and usually there's nothing at all stamped on the left hand one - so it's a bit mixed up, and there's probably a rail from a brass-reeded one (of the same model) on the right hand side, to confuse the issue... :rolleyes:

I'd noticed this listing too. Is the seller known to members on this forum? It seemed a reasonable 'buy it now' price but not too much info on the concertina itself.

He is a member of a well-known and well-respected family of West Cork musicians. His mother, now deceased, was recorded by Neil Wayne for his Irish Concertina Styles LP and by Tony McMahon for RTE Television. He has produced his own CD, which he regularly sells on ebay, under the same username. I have bought from him on ebay in the past and I have met him personally a couple of times in Dublin. I would have absolutely no hesitation in buying from him again.

------------------------------

Update:

I note that the original listing has been withdrawn due to an error in the listing and the concertina has been re-listed.

Edited by Gan Ainm

A few of us have had trouble dealing with him. Also, he acted very strangely when selling that eight-sided Wheatstone. he wouldn't answer questions sensibly and the price was up and down like...well, you know what. It looks like this one may be a rebuild Stephen?

Edited by Paul Read

It looks like this one may be a rebuild Stephen?

To some degree at least Paul, in that it visibly has what appear to be new 6-fold bellows (when this model originally had only 5-fold), and at least one of the rails has been changed - and I'd have cut the longer rail (stamped STEEL REEDS) to the same length as the other one if I'd been doing that, and have put it on the right hand side too (as was Lachenal's convention).

Edited by Stephen Chambers

For a Mahogany ended (Brass Reed) Lachenal ! ! !

Seeing that the right hand rail isn't stamped STEEL REEDS it quite likely has brass ones, though it wouldn't be the first time I encountered one like that that had been retro-fitted with steel tongues. Unfortunately the description doesn't elaborate on that significant detail.

Mind you I had a brass-reeded one, about 5 years ago, that was astonishingly good!

Will a replacement steel tongue in a frame/shoe originally intended for a brass tongue and cut to the same tolerances as the brass tongue produce the same note?