Shipping To Germany

I'm about to ship an instrument to Germany from UK.

I've priced up a couple of couriers, and with insurance to the full value, the cost is eye-wateringly expensive.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative shipping method or courier?

What about usual post? I've recently shipped concertina from NL to UK by usual post.nl and I've used an option of insuring it (up to 5000 if I'm not mistaken). Luckily all went well, the cost of delivery was 30 with box.

Edited by Orm

I faced the reverse problem last year (Germany to UK). It's the same thing; I had the option to go UPS for > 100 EUR or DHL (postal services) for a reasonable amount but with insufficient insurance (sufficient one would have cost even more than UPS). Since postal services were on strike in Germany exactly at that time and thousands of packets were irrecoverably lost in the chaos, I went UPS. Fortunately I could pick up my Crane on the way back as I visited the UK for the Sidmouth Festival.

You may want to ask Chris Algar who (unwantingly?) is an expert in insured int'l concertina shipping. I believe I paid around BPS 50 each for each of the two concertinas he sent me so he does have an acceptable arrangement (I believe it was something like an international mover service he went with).

Edited by RAc

A "fraction?" I just entered the reverse quest into dhl.de (5000 EUR insured, max 10kgs from GER to GB) and got a quote of about 83 EURs (max 60x60x120 cms). Is the other way so much less costly?

@Alex: yes, it is.

A "fraction?" I just entered the reverse quest into dhl.de (5000 EUR insured, max 10kgs from GER to GB) and got a quote of about 83 EURs (max 60x60x120 cms). Is the other way so much less costly?

@Alex: yes, it is.

Shipping to Germany from UK from competitors, including Royal Mail, was 3-4x the quote from DHL!!

The DHL shipping quote from UK to Germany is also more expensive than the equivalent quoted in the opposite direction.

Everything is more expensive in UK (rip-off Britain?).

Edited by SteveS

Rip-off Britain indeed. I have had Germans and Austrians book me a return flight from England to their country for much less than I could get from the same airline here. Why is anyone's guess (or am I missing something?)