Unusual Ebay Listing Of A "rosalie Dipper Bellows Concertina"

I, too, wonder about the description. The bellows papers tell us that it's a "C&R Dipper" concertina, not just a Dipper bellows. Maybe someone who is in contact with Colin (John, are you reading this?) could ask him who he made it for? From the decoration and the location, I might guess that it was made for John Townley, but I wonder that it's being sold without something about its history. Anybody here in contact with John T.?

We've just been looking at our archives... Instrument No.117 has Paduk ends and was originally made for Captain George Sally. I remember that I got the day off school to travel up to London with mum and dad to deliver it in person while his Galleon, "The Godspeed" was at St Katherine's Dock.

Hope this is of use.

Very best wishes,

John

Edited by John Dipper

We've just been looking at our archives... Instrument No.117 has Paduk ends and was originally made for Captain George Sally. I remember that I got the day off school to travel up to London with mum and dad to deliver it in person while his Galleon, "The Godspeed" was at St Katherine's Dock.

Thanks, John. I had also thought of the late Capt. Salley, but what I thought was his main instrument -- also a Dipper -- was sold not long (a couple of years?) ago... to one of our members, as I recall. I didn't realize he had this other, even fancier one.

FWIW, I believe he and John Townley knew each other well.

Looks like a different instrument than Sally's amazing F/C Dipper. It was at the Button Box a few years back, and was the most amazing instrument I ever laid hands on - resonant reeds that had an organ like quality. I know it sold to a c.net member, and then was resold, I believe. I still have dreams about that instrument.

Looks like a different instrument than Sally's F/C Dipper. It was at the Button Box a few years back, and was the most amazing instrument I ever laid hands on - resonant reeds that had an organ like quality. I know it sold to a c.net member, and then was resold, I believe. I still have dreams about that instrument.

The buy it now price - wow.

Edited by Jim Besser

From reading older threads, it seems there has been a past scam attempt on eBay related to the sale of one of Captain Salley's concertinas. The link below includes some discussion of it and also includes one photo of that concertina sitting on what I take to be its case - it enlarges with decent detail.

I've been comparing the bellows and end colors to the one offered on eBay now. The bellows and end colors appear to be considerably different but there are some similarities otherwise. I wonder if the tunings are different between the two?

Apparently the first one went south of the equator.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15428&p=146401

Interesting comments here (recovered via the wayback machine) plus photos of both ends (near top and bottom of text) of the one that apparently went south displaying the number 215. There's a third photo that I think is the same instrument, but the color is a bit different.

https://web.archive.org/web/20131111052139/http://www.concertina.net/gs_adventures.html

If the numbers were issued sequentially, then I take it the one currently offered on eBay (number 117) is several years older.

Edited by Bruce McCaskey

The seller is a re-seller and not the original owner. Probably selling it on a consignment basis.

I believe that this version has longer reeds than the standard reeds normally used on C/G concertinas playing traditional dance tunes.

It is indeed an interesting concertina.

Bruce, I don't think that Dipper numbers are sequential. John Dipper might have something to say about that.

Like David Levine said just before you David, "The seller is a re-seller and not the original owner. Probably selling it on a consignment basis." - in other words, the person selling it isn't the original owner, and it appears that a business is selling it on their behalf, indeed (if you read the eBay sellers profile) it may be that it is being sold on behalf of a deceased estate:

"Welcome to Sell It Baltimore on ebay. If you are downsizing your home or have inheritated an estate from a loved one that is no longer with us we are here for you. We offer customers a FREE consultation to evaluate their estate contents. We will help you establish a value and sell!

Like us on Facebook http: www.facebook.com/SellItBaltimore"