Sign in to follow this  
Arthurdaily

Do Bellows Let Air Escape?

Hi, just a simple question... I have bought my first concertina, and having great fun. But I have noticed that with a slight sqeeze and no button pressed the bellows do compress slightly and slowly... is that normal or should they be 'super-air-tight'?

Cheers!

Could be the bellows, gaskets, pads and a few other things as well. but as they only 'compress slightly and slowly' I wouldn't worry about it. Plus I would stop doing the 'sqeeze and no button pressed' as it does no good and could do harm.

Lester is quite right, and whenever people want a go on one of my instruments (and I'm in a benevolent mood and prepared to let them) I emphasise that the golden rule is not to move the bellows without having at least one note pressed. The air will find the weakest point to escape, which could be a slightly weaker valve, or the weakest joint in the bellows, and you don't want to make a problem like that any worse.

Mind you old age and abuse is creeping up on my treble, so a think a trip to the bellows doctor is coming up ...

The bellows themselves should be perfectly airtight. The instrument is unlikely to be. However, it should be as near perfectly airtight as possible, which means good valves and pads.