Best Way Fof Cleaning Bone Buttons ?

Hi all

Ive just aquired a Lachenal 30 Button C/G Anglo with White Bone Buttons, but they look a little tired and dirty, not sure what to use

I don't want to risk damage to them so will wait for advice from here.

Many thanks in advance

Dave

I used an ultrasonic cleaner, the type that Aldi sell for cleaning jewellery and the like you can just use water or add just a little washing up liquid it worked well for me, I think when I did mine Aldi didn't have any available so I bought a second hand one from ebay for about £10,

good luck Vin

Ive just aquired a Lachenal 30 Button C/G Anglo with White Bone Buttons, but they look a little tired and dirty, not sure what to use

I don't want to risk damage to them so will wait for advice from here.

In addition to the responses so far, I believe there's an extensive older thread on just this subject.

Following some of the advice on cnet, I've found that putting the buttons in the chuck of a variable speed drill and using a mild cleaner followed by a polish seems to work best.

You need to be gentle chucking the guide pin of the button. A moderate speed works well. I use a soft cotton cloth (old t-shirt) for applying the polish and a dry part of the shirt for buffing. My polish for bone buttons is from a car care kit that came with my 2000 Saturn. Works like a charm! If I'm careful I can make the little bottle last until I retire from repairing concertinas. Another 10 years?!! :huh: :o :blink: :rolleyes:

Flitz metal polish for metal buttons.

Greg

Seems to me someone in that old thread used Pepsodent (denture cleaner).

Ken

edited to add: But now someone will hunt up that thread and prove me wrong! It can be fun getting old and forgetting stuff, though.

Ken

Seems to me someone in that old thread used Pepsodent (denture cleaner).

Ken

edited to add: But now someone will hunt up that thread and prove me wrong! It can be fun getting old and forgetting stuff, though.

Ken

Ken,

I've tried the denture cleaners but they are actually too good and take some of the "character" of the bone along with the dirt. That is why I listened to some others' advice and worked on a clean and polish approach.

Greg

Many thanks for the advice

Given the various methods I have tried a "heath Robinson" approach, an old electric toothbrush with toothpaste sold as suitable for sensetive teeth, It works and all I have to do now is the other 29 buttons

Again Many thanks

Dave