Jeffries Duet? On Ebay

They often (perhaps usually) were metal,on Jeffries Bros Duets.

That should probably be "on ALL Jeffries Duets" and, for that matter, on all Jeffries 4-row Anglos - which Jeffries developed his duets out of. I can only assume they did it so they could put fretwork under the "rails" (hand rests) to help the sound of the inboard bank of reeds on the pan, which tend to sound thin at the best of times.

They often (perhaps usually) were metal,on Jeffries Bros Duets.

That should probably be "on ALL Jeffries Duets" and, for that matter, on all Jeffries 4-row Anglos - which Jeffries developed his duets out of. I can only assume they did it so they could put fretwork under the "rails" (hand rests) to help the sound of the inboard bank of reeds on the pan, which tend to sound thin at the best of times.

Whatever the reason, I find them much more comfortable than the usual "rails".

Those whose hands are of a different size/shape than mine might well feel differently.

I did come across just one 45 button Jeffries Duet that had wooden hand-rests. All the others that i have ever seen had metal hand-rests.

And I'd say there's a good likelihood that one started off with metal rails too Brian - they're only soldered together, and if that fails it's common (and easiest) to replace them with wooden ones (I've done it myself on a 4-row Jeffries Anglo, or two, in the past).

I have a converted BpFC Jeffries Anglo X Duet and that has metal rails.

Thanks Stephen for your reply. I met Maurice when I visited his Father and he was then a semi recluse living in his bedroom getting over polio.

Jim made some recordings of him playing Duet and he had a compilation cassette of his playing including the band (From memory Westminster Concertina Band ).He was only about fourteen years of age when he made the recordings.One of the finest Duet players I have ever heard.The cassette is now in the hands of Graham Bradshaw ,but there are a few copies around ,sounds like you may have one.

When I was compiling Duet International (still no news sadly) I tried to find out if Maurice was still alive.His concertina was sold at a Steam Fair in Littlehampton.He never played again after getting polio and was playing guitar when I met him.

Al