For Sale: 1925 Wheatstone 64 Key, Model 39 Maccann Duet

Ollie

Hello all,

I'm looking to sell my Maccann duet, as I've fallen hopelessly in love with another one!

The instrument is a 1925 (I haven't got it to hand at the moment, and can't remember the serial number) metal ended 64 key Maccann. The ledgers describe it as a model 39, but it's a little larger than other model 39s that I've seen. I'm pretty sure it was a custom job, as it not only has 64 (down to F bellow middle C, rather than G) keys, but also comes with an extra set of reed pans that are tuned a semi-tone higher than standard. It's got a good, bright, strident tone, and cuts through a session well.

However, it does need some work doing to it. There are some obviously out of tune notes, but and a few that need a spot tune. Also, one of the end bolts has snapped in the hole, so that will need removing, and replacing. It's cosmetically a little rough (a previous owner decided to scratch their postcode into both ends...), and I've undone some of the bodge jobs that had been done previously, but it's a great instrument from Wheatstone's golden period, it just needs some TLC.

I'm looking for a reasonably quick sale, so I'm looking for £1800 ono. This factors in the repair work that needs doing, as I think the instrument would be worth around £2250 when done up.

I've attached a few pictures, and two sound files of me playing it badly!

https://soundcloud.com/olliekingbox/haste-to-the-wedding

https://soundcloud.com/olliekingbox/jacobs_well

I'm based in Sheffield, if anyone would like to give it a go.

Best,

Ollie

post-11239-0-90254000-1458735434_thumb.jpg

post-11239-0-97342800-1458735512_thumb.jpg