New Player

PJS

Is there a saved forum if info for new players. I Want to know how to start out. Learn to play scales first? are there DVD's or other info available to help get started. I have watched simon thoumire's series of 6 info and they were very good. Is there a place to watch what else can be done besides simple melody.

thanks a bunch. I know I am not ready for that, but just want a glimpse of things to come!! I should say that I am working on English concertina. I ordered one but dont have it yet. I have been working on my ipad with a app for now. I do play other musical instruments and do read notation to some extent.

Thanks a bunch.

When I was starting out on the English concertina, I liked the Frank Butler tutor, which can be downloaded from the "concertina.com" website. i think you can also get a free copy of the Salvation Army tutor for the English from an old post on this website.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to link to it.

Best of luck with your concertina adventure!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I sure appreciate it. I am not ready yet but do you know of some examples of starting to add extra things like chords and rhythm etc thanks again

• 1 month later...

I have progressed somewhat since starting. Finding notes easier, getting into different keys, mostly C, G, D. I would like to have an idea of what else to work on. Like snappier notes, or knee vibrato (for lack of what else to call it) How to incorporate chords into songs and how to do that. Anything you can share would be great. thanks a bunch.

Dear PJS,

To learn these things you are asking about, you might find it helpful to take a listen to the solo EC playing of Mark Gilston, Rachel Hall, Jan Elliot and Dick LaVine.

http://jodykruskal.com/player_profiles.html

These folks have all played for years. This is complex music, not beginners stuff -- still, it might be interesting to hear how each one has a different way to play solo using harmony and rhythm.

For example, listen to how Rachel Hall is bouncing the rhythm and articulating each note with her bellows on these Swedish tunes. Her use of parallel harmony is astonishing. Lots of simple and effective accompaniment ideas here, even if the tunes themselves are likely beyond your abilities... this month.

http://jodykruskal.com/player_profile/rachel_hall_assets/r.hall.swedish.1.mp3

I appreciate the artist info. I was familiar with Mark Gilston and love his style. Just wondering if there are any tutor videos on how to add the ornaments or whatever you call it and add chords to the music, when and where. It seems that listening to artist music goes so fast that it is hard to hear or see what they might be doing. I play other instruments, fiddle, hammered dulcimer, so I hear the ornaments somewhat but don't know how to add it to my music on the EC.

I was watching Rachel Hall video, she is setting her EC on her lap right in the middle of the bellows. Is this optimal? I thought it would wear out the bellows if you did that sort of thing.

Also regarding bellows. If there is wear on the bellows from rubbing on clothing etc, can you rotate just the leather part of the bellows?? I know stupid question but I am a sponge trying to learn!! thanks a bunch to anyone that might be able to help.

Hi PJS,

I know the problem. The tune goes by too fast to hear what is being done. A simple solution is to slow the music down using your computer so you can learn it at whatever tempo suits you. Try the Amazing Slowdowner for cheap or Audacity for free. With these tools you can also listen to just a short phrase on repeat. Very handy for beginners and experienced players alike.

As for the lap issue. You can avoid all that by learning to play in the air. While lap playing will wear down the bellows eventually, lots of players do it anyway. Patching the corners is a relatively easy repair. I've reinforced most of my at risk bellows corners pre-need as it were. If you use thin goat skin or bookbinders skiver these repairs are almost invisible.

How are the corners reinforced? glued on?

I guess my issue is I just how to put extra stuff in. I can find a chord or a double stop but then what. I do have Amazing slowdowner so will try that. thanks

Yup, glue.

The interesting thing about the concertina is that there is no instruction manual for how to accompany yourself. There is no right or wrong way to do it. There is only individual taste and ability.

I'm sure that you would find a teacher if you looked. Still, that teacher would only show you their way to play.

If you want fine but advanced arrangements for EC, look at the Boris Matusewitch manuscripts. That's the kind of music Dick LaVine and the amazing Randy Stein play... jazz standards and American songbook stuff.

Thanks for mentioning those transcriptions Jody. That jogged a memory about an old thread that contains a link to the scanned copies of the Matusewich transcriptions and some recordings forum members had made:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9195&hl=manuscript

The OP may find them usual and I'm certainly going to have another go at some of the easier pieces.