Removing Bellows From Frame

What's the best method of removing the existing bellows from the frames, preferably without causing damage, any advice would be gratefully accepted. thank you, Vin

Thank you for your reply, I am replacing a four fold bellows on a student box that I bought quite cheaply with a six fold that I have ordered from eBay, it may sound daft but being a comparative novice im really doing this to see what kind of job I can make of it and what sort of quality the afore said bellows are before i consider buying another set to replace the rather stiff five fold bellows that are on a nice lachenal new model that i paid what I consider to be a lot for.

The reason that I would like to remove the existing bellows if possible without to much damage is that they would seem to be in quite good condition, and you never know!!!, bet you wished you never asked but if you have any ideas i would appreciate it

... bet you wished you never asked ...

Yep! :huh:

Frankly, if the instrument is in a good state of repair (not leaking, valves in good condition, reeds and action correctly set) a 4-fold bellows should be perfectly adequate on an instrument that's not going to be played loudly or with lots of big fat chords (indeed the 19th century virtuoso Richard Blagrove actually preferred 4-fold bellows on his instruments!) and I'd recommend fixing any other possible issues before doing anything as drastic as changing the bellows. (To my mind you may be trying to fix the symptoms by fitting a new bellows, when I'd always try to find and fix the cause... )

But if you do want to try this - old, original bellows were made and attached to the frames with either hide glue, or a flour and water paste, either of which should be water soluble, but the potential for disaster is very great if you're not extremely careful. Just dampen the leather you want to seperate and use a very blunt knife to tease the leather away from the frame, but don't wet the rest of the bellows or they'll fall apart!!!

Otherwise, you can carefully cut the bellows off and put them back on again later, with new end runs around the bellows frames.

As for your Lachenal New Model, if you bought it off a dealer - could you not get them to take it back and get one with good bellows instead?

Thank you for your reply, I am replacing a four fold bellows on a student box that I bought quite cheaply with a six fold that I have ordered from eBay, it may sound daft but being a comparative novice im really doing this to see what kind of job I can make of it and what sort of quality the afore said bellows are before i consider buying another set to replace the rather stiff five fold bellows that are on a nice lachenal new model that i paid what I consider to be a lot for.

The reason that I would like to remove the existing bellows if possible without to much damage is that they would seem to be in quite good condition, and you never know!!!, bet you wished you never asked but if you have any ideas i would appreciate it

Hot wet rags will soften the glue bond. It can be a slow process and no guarantee that some damage won't be done to the old bellows, particularly if the cards get wet. Wring out excess moisture from the rag so it won't be dripping wet. It's a difficult proposition.

Edited by Mike Pierceall

I've had some success with a feeler gauge inserted between the leather and the wooden frame (or fabric if there was a fabric under layer), going very carefully and slowly. The bond isn't always that strong; a bit of dampness might help but you could try it dry

Alex West