Looking For Anglo

PaddyLosty

Greetings,

I'm somewhat in the market for an anglo - 26-30 buttons, preference to a vintage instrument, but open to some current makers.

I play Irish music, and find myself playing in sessions more often these days. Kind of hoping to stick to that elusive middle-of-the-road price range above hybrids, but below the top tier makers.

Let me know what you have

Edited by Pgidley

Good eye, that is indeed a Bb/F. Unfortunately, I'm not particularly fond of that era of Wheatstones. There are some good examples out there however, but for now I'm looking for something slightly better.

Trouble is, I suspect that that "elusive middle-of-the-road price range" between hybrids and top makers is largely occupied by late-period Wheatstones.

For some perspective: The Button Box currently lists a nice looking 1957 Aeola (C/G, and 40 buttons, so not what you're after) and a 45-button Bb/F Jeffries (again, more buttons than you want, and also not of the best period). The latter costs half again as much as the former. Neither is cheap, but they're both being offered for less than you'd pay for a new instrument from a top maker--with a substantial wait.

My point, I suppose, is that in the price range you seem to have in mind, unless you get lucky or can wait a good while until just the right box turns up, there may be a compromise or two in order. For my money, unless you're just dead-set against them, a late Wheatstone may be worth a look after all. Some are very nice indeed; and if the hook-and-lever action is unacceptable, it can be swapped out for a riveted one--and even with that added expense you'll probably be spending less than you would for a top-tier new box.

My two cents, anyway. If I were in your place I think Greg's Wheatstone might tempt me (assuming it's still available). So would the Jeffries at the B.B.--but then, I like extra buttons.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Good perspective, thank you. I guess I'm in the "get lucky or wait" camp, as its not an urgent need. I thought I'd put this post up, in case someone has something that is languishing. I missed out on Sean O'Fearghail's Bb/F, which I'm still kicking myself about - that would have been ideal for my current wants.

I guess an ideal instrument for my range would be a 30 button Crabb, or by some rare luck, a 26 button Jeffries. I've had good luck with rosewood ended Lachenals also. I learned to play on a 20 button rosewood that I sold on this site, and it was a beautiful sounding and playing concertina. Learning Irish music on a 20 button also shaped my playing in a way that I appreciate, which makes me comfortable with 26 buttons. Not to discount the 60's Wheatstones - I'm sure there are good examples. The few that I've played didn't impress me as anything that suited my playing, but they are entirely a great value for some folks. I've also played some really, really high end concertinas that I also just didn't "click" with, but that others loved. I guess its like that with any musical instrument.

Hi there. I'm pretty sure Chris Algar won the ebay auction for Sean O'Fearghail's Bb/F and he got it for a snip in terms of historic prices for this quality of concertina. Why not get in touch with him and make him an offer? I've bought a couple of concertinas off him and he's always very decent and reasonable.

Frank

I may be able to help. I've a restored metal ended Shakespeare 39 key in BbF and an unrestored John Crabb 28 key also in BbF and wooden ended. The Crabb is a very nice looking instrument in old pitch. Not much needs doing to it - I just haven't got round to the necessary pad/valve/spring etc replacement and re-tuning.

They'd both be a bit more expensive than Sean's Crabb (but that was exceptionally cheap IMHO) although cheaper than the equivalent vintage of Wheatstone/Jeffries

Let me know if you might be interested

Alex West

Just by way of endorsement, the Marcus Bb/F being sold on this forum may be worth considering (if you haven't already). You may not have come across Keith Kendrick on your side of the ocean, but he is a fine player (and singer) with many cd's in the English tradition and a fine musical pedigree etc to his name - I'm sure he would be totally open with you about the instrument and happy to discuss it if you were prepared to buy from abroad. I have no connection with the seller other than having some of his cd's and having seen him in concert, but friends who have played and recorded alongside him hold him in high esteem.

Just by way of endorsement, the Marcus Bb/F being sold on this forum may be worth considering (if you haven't already). You may not have come across Keith Kendrick on your side of the ocean, but he is a fine player (and singer) with many cd's in the English tradition and a fine musical pedigree etc to his name - I'm sure he would be totally open with you about the instrument and happy to discuss it if you were prepared to buy from abroad. I have no connection with the seller other than having some of his cd's and having seen him in concert, but friends who have played and recorded alongside him hold him in high esteem.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm only looking for a concertina-reeded concertina, which really limits the feasible options. Maybe I'm overly picky, but I owned a top notch accordion-reeded concertina once, and it always sounded wrong to me, maybe because my wife is a melodeon player and the tonal similarities were really apparent to me. I fully endorse them to those that the tone doesn't bother.

Still hoping to find a 26 button rosewood Bb/F or Ab/Eb! I've been offered some lovely instruments, but nothing that falls within the ideal price to quality ratio yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not what you're looking for, but I have a friend who is selling a Jeffries 39 button Bb/F with metal ends and buttons. Looking for £4000. I'm just going to post it up for her now, so check that listing for more details and pictures, if you're interested.

Hi there. I'm pretty sure Chris Algar won the ebay auction for Sean O'Fearghail's Bb/F and he got it for a snip in terms of historic prices for this quality of concertina. Why not get in touch with him and make him an offer? I've bought a couple of concertinas off him and he's always very decent and reasonable.

Frank

Only as you mention it, Chris Algar didn't buy the Sean O'Fearghail's Bb/F Carroll Concertina, I bought it,although I tried to contact Sean using C.net, he didn't answer to me, then I had to buy it using ebay.

Then sorry for my comment, I thought that you mentioned the carroll Bb/F concertina that Sean sold to me three years ago (the time passes so quickly!).

I have been away from the c.net forum for a long time, in order to not to have more temptations. ;-).

I have enough anglo concertinas now for playing, as in Galicia we play in so many different keys, and the duet is a long time journey.

I only have to say that Sean was very handsome with our transaction, and that I like a lot to play his carroll concertina. Now my main concertina for solo playing and one of my favourite ones for playing usually, as I like a lot to play in Bb and F, and I enjoy it a lot.