Lachenal Bellows Papers And Label

Actually, I'm off to the art shop tomorrow to try to buy light weight gold A4 paper. I'll just try printing them onto gold paper with an ink cartridge printer and see how that looks. I'll let everybody know the result.

I can't see 'gold' in the background palette supplied in Open Office, so I presume that preparing a

PDF file with a 'gold' background, and then simply printing using good quality paper is a non-starter?

Roger

Hi Roger,

"background" could easily (if not would rather) be black, Stephen wants to print on gold because of the extra quality of the material if I get him right.

However, "gold" as just a colour from the printer's palette wouldn't do it anyway IMO (hardly in the sense of a reasonable compromise).

Best wishes - Wolf

Ok. Just for discussion for the moment: I went to the art shop and bought Gold A4 printing paper (US15 cents a sheet.) In order for inkjet ink to take on the paper, the surface is slightly absorbent and is not shiny like gold leaf. I have taken a photo of the effect held (with bluetack) against the original. It would look better with a satin finish varnish.

I need to narrow down the lines a bit. I'm also getting a quote from a wedding card printer for good quality gold on black printing.

Now why isn't this forum allowing to upload a photo like I did last time??

...However, "gold" as just a colour from the printer's palette wouldn't do it anyway IMO (hardly in the sense of a reasonable compromise)...

Yes, that was what was bothering me - I couldn't see it working very well either.

I'm now looking at the PDF file on a different machine - it's a far better image than

I saw before - I'm strongly tempted to visit our local art shop, buy a sheet of gold

paper and give it a go...

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

I spent a lot of time and money developing the papers I have available. My experience, for what it's worth van be summed up with three basic conclusions:

1 the stock needs to be back all the way through. Otherwise you get a nasty white edge which makes the papers useless.it needs to be of firm/ smooth texture and treated to avoid marking with the glue.

2. Gold pantones are just not metallic enough. I finally settled on a foil process, the plates are expensive but it's worth it.

3 The papers look best if they are clear laquered after gluing in place.

I hope this helps, it took me three years, on and off, to get my first truely acceptable results

Dave

David, the papers I obtained from you (looking great as for me) didn't use that foil, did they?

Stephen and Roger: My search for an appropriate varnish had resulted in finding "acrylic medium", so to speak a solvent for acrylic painting which is supplying a decent semigloss finish... (and is easy to handle too).

Best wishes - Wolf

David: agreed. After you cut out the individual papers, you need to go round the edges with a black marker pen. Not the end of the world.

I'm meeting a local printer here next week who is keen to try to make papers using a stamped metal foil process, as you did. Interestingly, he says that he can only do the process using small sheets and he may be able to include the stamping out of the individual papers as part of the process. He does that for fancy wedding invitation cards that Chinese people use here.

I found that the black marker pen did not match and changed colour. Beware.

The foiling process was the easiest element to settle on. The foil needs to be as yellow as you can get it. The stock and it's pre treatment is key in all this. Card is too stiff and comes off in play. Remember that the glue holding the papers needs to be removable to permit later bellows maintenence.

Dave.

Edited by d.elliott