Happiness Is A Warm Concertina

Richard, I'll trade you for a nice warm soft fluffy pillow for the cold hard concertina. Just want to help make your cat more comfortable...

I have a cat now that is somewhat like Geoff's, whenever I play she seeks me out and becomes insistent that I stop playing and pet her. If there's a place where she can get beside me, she'll sit there and reach out with her paw at me. My wife insists the poor cat must be deaf, but it seems well able to hear a can of food open from a distance.

When I was fairly new to the instrument, there was a cat in the house who would try hard to stick her claws in the bellows every time I started playing. Even now I sometimes wonder whether she was right.

My cat was intrigued by the concertina for a month or two, but then she lost interest. On the other hand, if I am listening to a recording of piping, she comes running from wherever she is in the house. If it is a uilleann piper she just sits there staring at the stereo; if it is a highland piper she, uh, 'sings' along.

How's about tunes such as; " The Cat that Piddled in Jaimie's Wig" or the "Cat that Ate the Candle".... or while I am on animal tune name theme ... " The Litte Pig Lamenting over the Empty Trough".

Could have been "The Cat in the Hopper"? Too many tunes naming non-feline animals for me to even bother with that idea. Besides, it might offend the puss in the picture.

Hello

The cat in my photo Ruth Goldberg, so far isn't put off by the noise of the concertina. But my dear departed cat would sit sleeping in a chair directly in front of me for hours while I played without offense.

Richard

• 1 month later...