I Am Visiting This Site Less Since Thotm And Totm Were Stopped

derekc

This is just an observation - and I understand the reason why Tune of the Month and Theme of the Month were stopped - however, I find I am visiting this site far less these days as a result of that decision.

This is just an observation - and I understand the reason why Tune of the Month and Theme of the Month were stopped - however, I find I am visiting this site far less these days as a result of that decision.

Oh yes. Me too. Not playing as much concertina either. My flute playing is benefiting no end!

It's a shame but there just weren't enough of us to make it worthwhile keeping it going.

Me too! Much less visiting of this site and less playing the concertina too.

My hammered dulcimer playing has taken over.

I wonder if we should start a former ThOTM/TOTM support group and just submit something once a month?

Thoughts?

My hammered dulcimer playing has taken over.

I wonder if we should start a former ThOTM/TOTM support group and just submit something once a month?

Thoughts?

I did enjoy the challenge of having someone else call the tune (or theme). Particularly when it was something well outside my comfort zone.

But since it really isn't anyone else's job to scratch that itch for me, I've transferred my energies to an idiosyncratic project of my own: the WWI-era songs I've been learning (very roughly one a week) and posting in the Videos and Music section.

The material's relatively new to me and very different from most of the music I play, and I'd never thought of arranging it for concertina until last summer. So it makes a good substitute in the Theme department. I'd be delighted if anyone else were to pitch in on this (Steve Wilson contributed a fabulous Australian song several months back). I'd be equally delighted if someone else launched a similar thematic project and welcomed contributions.

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Edited by Bob Michel

Hi Rod, I agree. There are lots of great tunes out there just waiting to be played... let me at 'em. Still, I miss TOTM too. It had a nice long run, thanks to Jim Besser.

Of course we are all free to continue posting our recording efforts, many of us have, since the untimely demise of TOTM. I love to check out the postings here on C.Net. TOTM was very cool though, in that it challenged me. A challenge can be very inspiring. Along comes a fine tune or song from left field and I think... well, I could do something with that... OK, lets give it a shot. TOTM caused me to open my Sound Cloud account which has been a very nice alternative to my own web site. https://soundcloud.com/jodysconcertina

TOTM was a lot of work for Jim. Every month he hosted a crowd sourced winning tune, background information, links and resources and best of all... the context among us concertina players to hear how we all got on with the monthly tune. I do miss enjoying the whole process. Again, thanks Jim for a job well done and thanks to all the contributors. May you long continue to contribute.

TOTM - RIP

Or wait... did I hear Daria offering to submit a monthly tune of her choosing for us all to consider? Count me in!

Edited by Jody Kruskal

hi - on my part it was just an observation, although I am still playing, I realised I was visiting this site less because Totm/ThoTM was no longer there. The reasons for its demise have been well aired already and just wondered if other people were visiting this site less as a result. It appears some of us are.

I hear you all, I share your pain. When the TOTM worked, it was great fun, and it benefited my playing a lot.

But there's no reason why the basic concept - being introduced to new music, learning it, recording and posting it and finally hearing how other musicians approach the same tune - has to die. Perhaps the format was too rigid and our numbers too small to make such a formal forum work.

So here's a challenge for a self directed forum.

Learn a new tune. Record it and post it in the Concertina Music and Videos forum. If you have dots, or links to dots, post that as well. And post your challenge: "I want to see how other musicians approach this tune."

Or record and post an old tune that you'd like to freshen and see what others do with it.

For me, that was the beauty of the TOTM. I wanted to be exposed to new tunes, but I also wanted to learn from how other musicians played those tunes. I recorded my share, and the discipline of recording was a very useful learning tool, but I also benefited from hearing how Jody played it, and Bob, and Wolf, and Daria, and everybody else.

There's no reason why there has to be only one tune at a time. Maybe collect all in a single thread: TOTM Offspring.

We should start the ball rolling and see what happens; maybe it will work!

The reasons for its demise have been well aired already and just wondered if other people were visiting this site less as a result. It appears some of us are.

And FWIW, some of us aren't. I've always found more than enough to interest me here, and I visit at least daily unless I'm lacking a computer connection.

Tune and Theme of the Month were great -- inspiring and educational, -- though also frustrating, as I only sporadically had the resources (time and recording equipment) to work up a contribution of my own.

The various suggestions to keep posting new recordings are spot on, and we can each pick our own structure(s) for that... or tack our contributions onto others' threads. And those of you who say you're not coming here as often because "... of the Month" has stopped, please stop in frequently, check for what might be happening, and maybe even respond/contribute.

• 3 weeks later...

Some TOTM-type threads now and then would be fun, if I can manage to participate (will see about your latest post in music/vids, Jim).

I have been playing my foot bass every single day (the 'basse aux pieds' made by Harry Geuns). For a while, my piano accordion has taken precedence over my concertina, but now I'm dumping that for a while and will play my concertina(s) -- and foot bass -- more. (My back is a wreck from the accordion, I think!)

I took my music off soundcloud, partly because some stranger who didn't like Christmas music or something left a rude comment, and I didn't feel like having to wonder who or what he was. So.... I've started out at bandcamp.com (bellowbelle.bandcamp.com) but I don't have much there, and what's there is... not really very good right now, lol...

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as I started having more time to play, the TOTM died :( .

I enjoy projects of that sort a lot, but always feel awkward because I don't think I'm good enough to post among the "pros". However, I play more concertina than ever, and have a huge list of Irish tunes to learn.

Edited by Susi aka Sinead