Eleventh Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game

So near, and yet so far.

Bow Church

Stopping off for some oranges and lemons.

The way is now open to head west, so I'll move to

Shepherd's Bush

With luck, the shepherd will have prepared a mutton pie!

In that case I take the Overground to

Hampstead Heath

and have a walk in the park with some salvaged Snickers bars in me pockets...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uummmm, I'm thinking that "tube" map might make a nice quilt .....?? oh, different hobby....sorry.....

Very good! This rare and valuable submission enables me to exercise option 259 paragraph 3b as provided by the reference book, 33. edition, by expanding my move from Hampstead Heath to

Tooting Bec

in order to visit the London Sewing Machine Museum (with one last Snickers bar left).

I once saw a very reasonable suggestion that Tooting Bec is actually some sort of London Transport 'in' joke that they put on buses to confuse tourists, and not a real place at all, but then my wife got a job at St. Georges Hospital, Tooting. . . . She commuted from

Ruislip Gardens

(We grew Horseradish in the garden (If you've got it you have no choice - it doesn't go away!))

Nick

uummmm, I'm thinking that "tube" map might make a nice quilt .....?? oh, different hobby....sorry.....

Very good! This rare and valuable submission enables me to exercise option 259 paragraph 3b as provided by the reference book, 33. edition, by expanding my move from Hampstead Heath to

Tooting Bec

in order to visit the London Sewing Machine Museum (with one last Snickers bar left).

This move allows me to quote the headline long ago from a London local newspaper

BARKING MAN WEDS

TOOTING WOMAN

and pop along to

Barking

I tnink I would be suspicious of any Korean restaurant here.

Which allows a double-flip to

Theydon Bois

I once shared a student house with someone from Theydon Bois. He was very good at growing mould in cafetieres.

(Samantha was very excited when her gentleman friend suggested a trip there, before realising that although it rhymes with "boys" it was named after the wood. In retrospect her excitement was wholly justified.)

There has been much talk in the media lately about the board game 'Go'. This has included claims that Go is the most complex board game there is.

Clearly, these people have never seen this thread. Players not only have a virtually infinite number of moves which are possible: the board is virtual, so players have to hold this in their memories at the same time. Go also has simple rules: Mornington Crescent (in any of its numerous variations) has a truly labarynthine set of rules.

Steve

I do agree. The thing is that Mornington Crescent is what is technically known as a nomic game, that is, the player is encouraged and expected to modify the rules while the game is actually being played. The references to to rules and variations are the mechanism by which this is done, and the player has to understand the consequences of the rule modifications before applying any modifications of their own. Failure to do so results in penalties, the mildest of which is Knip.The widespread playing of the game in England is probably behind the notable intellectual superiority of the English man and woman in all walks of life and is clearly beyond the scope of any computer existing or projected for the foreseeable future.

Chris

Our lovely assistant who kept score in our esteemed game for Humphrey Lyttelton, and who now works for Mr. Jack Dee on the radiogramme.

Oh, I see..., had considered her as well...

Is that a bluebottle I hear?

West Acton

Well then I'll double with

West Ruislip

as the weather seems to be sufficiently fine for a wintertime picnic on the beach...

is clearly beyond the scope of any computer existing or projected for the foreseeable future.

This is clearly a challenge.

I have begun to commence an textural analytical study of the rules, and of all the known and unknown modifications both in this forum and in all other games played anywhere else in the world.

I am using a neural network, and a rule generator that feeds the results to an ontological processor and an fairly standard inference engine.

The processing has begin, and early results can be expected on 25th Jul 2097 at 11:15am Brisbane time.

Be aware, this game is doomed to computerisation!!

Meantime, I will be at LEYTONSTONE .

Not quite sure what the prior diatribe about the rules and computerization meant, but it's time to change zones (in concert for us in the colonies going to daylight savings time) and move on to

REDBRIDGE

is clearly beyond the scope of any computer existing or projected for the foreseeable future.

This is clearly a challenge.

I have begun to commence an textural analytical study of the rules, and of all the known and unknown modifications both in this forum and in all other games played anywhere else in the world.

I am using a neural network, and a rule generator that feeds the results to an ontological processor and an fairly standard inference engine.

The processing has begin, and early results can be expected on 25th Jul 2097 at 11:15am Brisbane time.

Be aware, this game is doomed to computerisation!!

Meantime, I will be at LEYTONSTONE .

Will the answer be 42?

Not quite sure what the prior diatribe about the rules and computerization meant, but it's time to change zones (in concert for us in the colonies going to daylight savings time) and move on to

REDBRIDGE

I'll do a red/green Central reversal to get to

Greenford

That should open some interesting diagonals.

REDBRIDGE

I'll do a red/green Central reversal to get to

Greenford

That should open some interesting diagonals.

Well yes, let's head for

London Bridge,

have a nice walk at the riverside and then check out the Whine Wharf...

Well yes, let's head for

London Bridge,

have a nice walk at the riverside and then check out the Whine Wharf...

Looking at the reviews for this establishment I can see that you have named it aptly.

London Bridge is falling down so lets go to Mayfair for some high-end fish and chips at the Chippy. The nearest station is:

Bond Street

Do you suppose that they have some scratchin's?