Eleventh Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very interested in the chair's view of this move.

Liverpudlians have been known to play a similar game to Mornington Crescent which involves navigating different crossing points along the Mersey river. Play can be so tense that participants are left needing pacemakers.

The Edinburgh version, Morningside Crescent, is well known.

Miss Jean Brodie was a great exponent.

But where can you get a good croissant in the morning in the town?

At the boulangerie at the rond-point end of the Rue General de Gaulle, Paimpol (50m from the railway station)...

Roger

Oh dear, we seem to have taken an international turn.

I'll get a flight back to London City Airport and head for the Docklands Light Railway at

West Silvertown

although I don't expect anything satisfactory in the line of food.

Oh dear, we seem to have taken an international turn.

I'll get a flight back to London City Airport and head for the Docklands Light Railway at

West Silvertown

although I don't expect anything satisfactory in the line of food.

Well you might be able to get you some raw fish out of the silt at least...

...while I'm going to

Woolwitch Dockyards

with the singing of the great late Ewan McColl and the concept of living on love alone in mind once again...

Crumbs, a high-risk move.

I will respond with

Tufnell Park

Which, as we all know, goes up to eleven. And is currently closed. A bit like Mornington Crescent used to be.

Well, this has the potential of creating a time-out for at least three weeks, right?

But with the throttle set up to eleven I reckon the train won't be able to stop at Tufnell Park as intented which enables me to leave at

Archway

for lunch (after having wrestled some unbalanced nightmare).

(typo corrected for maximum accuracy)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Sorry I've been silent for a few days. I've been down to Sidmouth for the Radway Reunion, where many fine folk musicians from all over the country gather together in a pub in Sidmouth (where they spend Folk Week playing), lay their instruments aside and play Mornington Crescent. In the end it came down to a protracted battle between the fiddlers and the concertinists, all other instruments having been played out, as it were. I am pleased to say as the sole anglo player there I was able to use Cryer's Retreat in reverse at a critical juncture that eventually swayed the game our way. Another free reed triumph!

So, where are we? Well, I see we had a brief excursion into Mornington Croissant, glad to see it was brief, and a threat of Morningside Crescent which didn't materialise. Jolly good show, chaps.

Tuffnell Park to Archway is an interesting move. I just ran it through the Mornington Croogle search engine and came up with some, let's say, surprising links! Ho Ho! I look forward to seeing where you get to from here. Ho ho!

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Crumbs, a high-risk move.

I will respond with

Tufnell Park

Which, as we all know, goes up to eleven. And is currently closed. A bit like Mornington Crescent used to be.

Well, this has the potential of creating a time-out for at least three weeks, right?

But with the throttle set up to eleven I reckon the train won't be able to stop at Tufnell Park as intented which enables me to leave at

Archway

for lunch (after having wrestled some unbalanced nightmare).

I'll swerve off to

Blackfriars

then take a short walk to Fleet Street.

I fancy one of Mrs. Lovett's meat pies.

You can't miss Mrs. Lovett's pie shop, it's close to Mr. Sweeney Todd's barber shop.

She always has interesting flavours.

I wonder if she has "concertina player".

I'll swerve off to

Blackfriars

then take a short walk to Fleet Street.

I fancy one of Mrs. Lovett's meat pies.

You can't miss Mrs. Lovett's pie shop, it's close to Mr. Sweeney Todd's barber shop.

She always has interesting flavours.

I wonder if she has "concertina player".

I know she has "A Little Priest", but I'm not sure about Salvation Army rations.

OK, I will move to

MANSION HOUSE

Then saunter on up to Coq D'Argent for calamari

(Did I do that right? Total newbie here)

You can always tell a good move by the length of time members think about it before replying!

Excellent move, Mike.

In that case I shall make a classic diagonal move to

East Ham

Thanks, Stuart, that resolved the Circle/District ambiguity.

However, it forces me further out, so I'll move to

Hornchurch

I'm feeling hungry, so I hope there's a Horn of Plenty there.

You can always tell a good move by the length of time members think about it before replying!

Quite so, but people will be familiar with the time bar, as defined in the minutes of the International MC Conference, September 2002, page 55,249, para 3. If no-one makes a move within the next 6 months the game will be forfeit. So better get your thinking caps on, people!

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Quite so, but people will be familiar with the time bar, as defined in the minutes of the International MC Conference, September 2002, page 55,249, para 3. If no-one makes a move within the next 6 months the game will be forfeit. So better get your thinking caps on, people!

Chris

Well, I wouldn't want to see that happen. Even though I have no clue, I will move on to:

EUSTON SQUARE

Hope that helps.......

So near, and yet so far.

Bow Church

Stopping off for some oranges and lemons.

The way is now open to head west, so I'll move to

Shepherd's Bush

With luck, the shepherd will have prepared a mutton pie!