Eleventh Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game

No, Ruediger, not a bad move at all. A very good one, as demonstrated by the long pause that has followed it. You've demonstrated a keen understanding of the supplementary codex to the Wrekin Rules in your deployment of the Wenlock Edge manoeuvre, developed by poet A. E. Housman after a winter gale blew his bird table over. It's a bit like castling in chess, with more trees.

With all this in mind, I shall play

Holland Park

where Les Barker no doubt once purchased a meat pie.

(Incidentally, Samantha says that she once had a gentleman friend from Shropshire, but she had to put a stop to it as he wanted to move North, and she didn't want any little arrivals being born out of Wenlock).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Ruediger, not a bad move at all. A very good one, as demonstrated by the long pause that has followed it..

The pause was caused by everyone consulting recipe books for elephant.

It does take a long time to cook, but the crackling is excellent.

As my attempt to prompt Ruediger to alleviate his sneaky move unfortunately failed I shall take the Central to

St. Paul's

in order to give away surplus slices of bread to the birds.

At one time, bread was supplied by a baker's shop in Pudding Lane, but fire precautions were non-existant.

Hence the Great Fire, and to remember it the

Monument

I don't know if there is still a baker's shop in the vicinity.

As the most famous of the dead Kennedys once proclaimed that he was a doughnut to the assembled German audience, I shall play

Southwark

where I shall stop in at the local doughnut shop and cover myself in custard.

Edit: Samantha reminded me that I had named the wrong Kennedy. That comes from eating too much jelly (or jell-o).

Edited by StuartEstell

In retaliation for that accusation of foreign intervention into deeply British Matters (for which I plead guilty on all counts), I'll stop at

Green Park

and veer into Wiltons for some traditional British food. Costly they say but hey. There's worse things one can spend money on.

P.S. It's true, it may count as an insult to you native players that non-natives (let alone continental Europeans, of all the plagues!) should dare to participate in the game, but as it turns out, we don't have fun sports like these, at least not in Germany, so we'll have to bug you...

Edited by Ruediger R. Asche

In retaliation for that accusation of foreign intervention into deeply British Matters (for which I plead guilty on all counts), I'll stop at

Green Park

and veer into Wiltons for some traditional British food. Costly they say but hey. There's worse things one can spend money on.

I'll venture south of the river to

Balham

Gateway to the South

but I doubt if I'll find much available in the cafe.

...and is there honey still for tea?

Honey's off, dear!

in blessed memory of Peter Sellars

Our lovely assistant who kept score in our esteemed game for Humphrey Lyttelton, and who now works for Mr. Jack Dee on the radiogramme.

Oh, I see..., had considered her as well...

Is that a bluebottle I hear?

West Acton

Well then I'll double with

West Ruislip

as the weather seems to be sufficiently fine for a wintertime picnic on the beach...

I would be very interested in the chair's view of this move.

Liverpudlians have been known to play a similar game to Mornington Crescent which involves navigating different crossing points along the Mersey river. Play can be so tense that participants are left needing pacemakers.