Valueation

tony

:rolleyes: I have this C/G anglo made by A.C. Norman which I am thinking of selling but I am unsure of what sort of price to ask. It is in extreemly good condition. I bought it from Barlycorn last year but I have not been able to get to grips with playing the anglo, I play an English. Anyone have any ideas?

Well, Hobgoblin ask £999 retail for a new "Ashdown" - which is made by Andrew Norman, and they've had a used Norman instrument listed in their second-hand list for ages at £750. That's all the guidance I can offer, as I don't know what Andrew's direct order price is at the moment, and nor do I know what the second-hand market for these beasts is.

From what I've seen, the hybrid (or whatever we're currently supposed to be calling them) concertinas seem to take a cut in value when sold, but not a large one. As far as I can see, they don't lose much beyond that if the condition remains good. I think this is what you would expect of good instruments where there isn't a scarcity factor to drive prices up.

Chris

With reference to another thread (the one on construction style preference), does anyone think that the new accordion-reeded instruments are driving down prices for entry-level vintage instruments (esp. the mahogany Lachenals?) Or perhaps the prices of the accordion-reeded instruments have risen to the point ($1600-2000) where they share the market with the Lachenals?

I've had a couple of Lachenals over the years, but far prefer my Tedrow for reliability and airtightness, and don't feel that I'm compromising as far as tone quality goes.

I'd agree with Chris on the depreciation issue, in my limited experience and near-obsessive Ebay-watching.

Tim

With reference to another thread (the one on construction style preference), does anyone think that the new accordion-reeded instruments are driving down prices for entry-level vintage instruments (esp. the mahogany Lachenals?) Or perhaps the prices of the accordion-reeded instruments have risen to the point ($1600-2000) where they share the market with the Lachenals?

I've had a couple of Lachenals over the years, but far prefer my Tedrow for reliability and airtightness, and don't feel that I'm compromising as far as tone quality goes.

My impression is the Lachenal market is softer than a few years ago. Before the hybrids the prices steadily rose, but the new choices made the Lachenal prices stop zooming and perhaps even slide back a little. Just my impression.

Thank you all for your comments. I am still unsure if I should sell my tina but if someone would like to make me an offer :) or maybe an exchange for an English I shall be happy to consider it. Once again, thank you all.

Thank you all for your comments.  I am still unsure if I should sell my tina but if someone would like to make me an offer :)  or maybe an exchange for an English I shall be happy to consider it.  Once again, thank you all.

If you bought it from Barleycorn - I think Chris offers to credit your original purchase price if you go back to him for an upgrade - though there may be a time limit on that offer.

Chris Jordan

• 4 weeks later...

Is it a C/G or a G/D? - the title of the first post and content don't match.

The AC Norman instrument listed on Hobgoblins site at £750 doesn't exist as far as I know. I tried to buy it last year. It continually sits on their secondhand stock list but isn't there.

If your instrument is as new then you should easily get £800 for it. If it is a G/D let me know. I've got a C/G and want a matching one :-)

Is it a C/G or a G/D? - the title of the first post and content don't match.

My apologies, whatever possessed me to type C/G only God knows. It is tuned in G/D. I am surprised that no one else pointed it out. Thank's.

Edited by tony

unfortunately i didn't get it! grrrrrr. just when i'd worked out a way to justify it to the missus

Sorry Peter. If I wasn't enjoying playing it so much I would be feeling most guilty.

It's cool that you have it and are enjoying it :D i've already got a C/G so I guess I was just being a little greedy!