(46) Button Wheatstone (Duet), At Auction. 16/17Th Feb, Canterbury. U.

Anglogeezer

For auction, 16/17th February at, The Canterbury Auction Galleries,

40 Station Road West,
Canterbury,
Kent.

Lot 747. A Wheatstone concertina, No. 35301, in simulated rosewood with black leather cloth covered box for same
Estimate = £300/£500

see here : http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/canterbury-auction-galleries/catalogue-id-srcan10021/lot-e2f70507-022d-4476-a43c-a5a001021154?utm_source=auction-alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=auction-alert&utm_content=lot-image-link

The single photo shows the right hand end with 25 buttons and no air button.

The ledgers give a date of 17/04/1940 and 46 buttons.

I assume therefore we have a duet of some description. (I'm an anglo man - all duets look the same to me!!!)

Jake

The single photo shows the right hand end with 25 buttons and no air button.

The ledgers give a date of 17/04/1940 and 46 buttons.

I assume therefore we have a duet of some description. (I'm an anglo man - all duets look the same to me!!!)

Definitely a Wheatstone (aka Maccann) duet.

Distinguishing different kinds of duet:

• 6 columns wide (straight, not slanted) = Maccann/Wheatstone duet (Lachenal called them "Maccann"; Wheatstone called them "Wheatstone")
  • 5 columns wide (straight, not slanted) = Crane/Triumph duet (same system, but at some point in time Lachenal renamed it from "Crane" to "Triumph" for the Salvation Army
  • unisonoric, with slanted columns = either 1) Jeffries duet, 2) if recent, possibly Hayden duet, or 3) something "special"